Saudi, U.S. and Israel?

https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/02/middleeast/us-saudi-treaty-israel-palestinian-statehood-intl/index.html

What do you guys think of this?

3 Likes

Don’t have to read it, it ain’t gonna happen.

1 Like

You’re probably right. A step at dividing the world even moreso into two camps, it seems.

1 Like

Unlikely to happen.

The Saudis are not our friends. They want western support to continue to buy their oil and wage war against Shiite Muslims, basically Iran, in their 6th century struggle over which faction – Sunni or Shiite – can claim to be the rightful successor to Mohammed.

Israel and the Palestinians inherited an unworkably divided country from the British who sought their aid in WWI to fight the Turks. About 75 years have passed since the founding of Israel and the “two state solution” has been soundly rejected in favor of killing and fighting. They want the west to provide money, guns and ammo and are uninterested in peace.

2 Likes

I could see some form of this being enacted. It won’t solve any of the underlying issues and won’t lead to anything more than perhaps a very temporary fragile peace. But both Isreal and Saudi Arabia will be happy to take more US money, weapons and security guarantees in exchange for their signatures on a worthless piece of paper.

3 Likes

Jonathan talks about Saudi Arabia at the end of video.

1 Like

If it brings stability, and strength to the region, keeps Iran and it’s proxies in check, give it a shot. :thinking:

Personally, I think if I see a story comes from CNN it’s not worth reading.

3 Likes

Mostly true…but know your enemies.

I was just listening to NPR (I know…same reason) in the car. The topic was voter ID. I am amazed at the arguments against it. It makes people uncomfortable. Really.

2 Likes

One or two whole generations have been indoctrinated in our schools.

3 Likes