Sampling some Magtech tomorrow

My carry ammo in the Centennial is nothing special, just ordinary, standard pressure 158 grain LSWCs—the same as I carried in the SO.
I stuck with them in the snubbie because I can shoot follow ups more accurately than with the legendary FBI load (which I haven’t been able to find in stock around here in years, anyway!)

I am considering going with full power 150 grain LWCs after reading some reviews, however since ammo is unobtainable right now, I’m sticking with LSWCs.

.38 Spl. 158gr LSWC used to be pretty common, but no more, I haven’t seen any Winchesters of Federals in years although I have stocked up on what I could find (this long before the current shortage)
I only carry factory loads.

I burned through almost all of my Remingtons and after a defective round during my CCW test, of all places, I’m swearing off Remington,
I can’t trust them.

So tomorrow is a range day. I’m going to finish off the Remingtons and try sampling of Magtech 158 gr LSWCs. If those don’t fill my needs I have 158 gr LSWC Privi Partizans to test.

What strikes me as odd is that the only .38spl 158gr LSWC ammo I could find (and this before the shortage)
is manufactured overseas in places like Brazil and Croatia.
Not that I have anything against Croatia and Brazil, but I have very little experience with foreign ammo manufacturers other than PMC in .45 ACP, which I found to be excellent.

It wouldn’t take much to best Remington in my book right now (I’m very grateful for the Magtech and Privi I have) however I was wondering what I should expect tomorrow at the range? Any good reviews or disappointments I should be aware of?
How have Magtech and Privi ammo treated you?

1 Like

Only Magtech I fired were some 15 year old 357 magnum 158 gr I wanted to finish off. They fired similar to the Rem HTP 158gr I had, but I don’t know what the MagTech 38 spl is like. Some Magtech semi-auto rounds have had good results in compacts on the LuckyGunner sight, but I don’t see any 38 spl listed.

Here’s LuckyGunner’s 38/357 page if it helps with future ammo purchases: https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/revolver-ballistics-test/

1 Like

Its solid ammo. I have had positive experiences with it. I have mostly shot .45 acp fmj and 158 gr. .357 mag. As you well know some are loaded alittle hotter then American brands. (,at least what I found)
My personal experience is that it goes bang,(lol) it is clean burning, and good range ammo. I am also a reloader so when ever I get some new ammo I always mic. It up just to see how consist it is. Never had an issue. ( I have noticed that S&B ammo is definitely loaded hotter, that is my favorite non American brand)
Have fun at the range! Be safe and let us know what ya think!?

1 Like

I have shot 9mm 115 gr. Magtech FMJ as my practice ammo for years. All of my guns (Beretta PX4 Storm, Stoeger Cougar, KelTec PF9, Glock 17/43/43X) have performed flawlessly with Magtech. Not a single FTF, FTJ, or stovepipe. It’s been about 3,000 rounds through all guns.

3 Likes

I ran a lot of Magtech 9mm through several Taurus handguns, mainly because Taurus owns Magtech so who’s ammo would be better?

I don’t recall having any function issues; it always fed, fired,and ejected. I did have grouping issues with it. Maybe that was the gun, or maybe it was me, but changing ammo immediately improved the group size. Had the same issue with non Taurus pistols using Magtech. YMMV.

2 Likes

Well, my friend bailed this morning. Maybe it being 106 degrees had something to do with it.
We’ll try again later in the week when it cools down a bit.

3 Likes

@John292 I can relate to that. I will only frequent indoor ranges for the next two months. I like to sight in with the air conditioning at my back.

2 Likes