Safer Without Guns?

Agreed :+1:

However these can be somehow avoided or predicted. Gun violence is not predictable in most cases. :pensive:

1 Like

I, and others, would argue that acts of violence are more predictable than auto accidents. 5ere are signs, that someone might be on the verge of doing something violent. A disconnect from society, violent tendencies on social media. Yes, seeing a person stagger from a bar, and get in a car indicates a wreck might be imminent, but, they don’t intend to hurt someone. A violent person, has that intent, and sometimes even makes that intent known.

1 Like

That’s right. Definitely current morals and values are not the same anymore.
However firearm is and always will be (for me) the easiest way to make a deadly threat.
I strongly agree that we should be equally equipped for defense (no doubt) and unfortunately bad people always use deadliest available weapon - so there won’t be a safer World anymore.

My thinking was to eliminate the deadliest weapon (guns) and make the crimes a little harder to commit.

A gun is a tool that is very effective for the purpose intended. But, as others have said, there are many other tools that are equally effective at killing in small numbers or large numbers, even though they may not have been intended to for the purpose used.
And, also as others have said, it seems our issues today stem from the lack of morals and values, especially the value of life.

5 Likes

Are prisons safe with no guns, knifes, and other weapons inside?

1 Like

:wink:
I’m not sure if @Liam was thinking about such places starting this thread…

Is African jungle safe place without guns? :yum:

Violent crime rates in the US have been cut by over half since they peaked in the 90’s.

If you feel less safe today it’s because of how the media fuels ratings and sales by grossly exaggerating violent events so as to help push an anti gun agenda.

3 Likes

That’s really not accurate Jerzey. You can learn to develop your own situational awareness and to simply identify and avoid high threat areas and situations.

You can generally see if someone has ill intent simply by their mannerisms and body language.

1 Like

I cannot develop situational awareness and avoid being shot on express way (already happened in Chicago).
What I’m saying is that guns are too “easy” and “unfair” weapons.

1 Like

Life and the Universe have no Laws limiting “easy”, and absolutely no guarantee, or even an offer, of “fairness”. If you’re preparing for a fair fight you’ve already lost.

If I have to defend myself, I want it to be as easy and as unfair in my favor as I can make it.

1 Like

Instead of finding answer “if World would be safer without the guns” we are closer to the statement that we all need a “small nuclear bomb” in our packets :wink:

@Liam, If all guns were banned and hypothetically disappeared from the earth, nobody would die by being shot by them - in crime, in war, by suicide, or accidentally. Fact. Would crime stop? Would war cease? Would suicide be prevented? Would accidental deaths cease? No. Minus guns, bad guys and armies will find alternate ways to kill. Many ways already exist and are already used. People will still die by suicide. And accidents already happen and will continue to. One notable difference, however… law abiding citizens will no longer have a highly efficient means of protecting themselves against those who intend to do harm to them with other types of weapons. Guns level, to a great extent, the playing field. A smaller, weaker, “victim” doesn’t have to be a victim to a larger, violent person who intends harm - if armed with a gun. If we want to consider hypotheticals, let’s dream about a world where all bad guys are removed from the streets and not allowed out by courts that bend to political pressure, and rogue nations and terrorists have their armies stand down, and we find more effective ways to treat and prevent mental illness, and police are respected rather than vilified by crazy people, politicians and the media. Since I’m a realist, sadly, I don’t see this happening, ever. So we have guns, thankfully.

3 Likes

Hate and war and crime existed long before guns existed.

5 Likes

Wouldn’t make any difference if all guns disappeared. People who wish to kill will kill.

3 Likes

I don’t know that I’d go that far…but Joe B’s suggestion that we all be allowed to purchase F-15’s to protect ourselves against the Government I think should go forward and I’ll be looking for financing and flight lessons. :wink:

Maybe he can change his campaign slogan to “An Eagle in every driveway” :smiley:

2 Likes

Make mine an A-10 Warthog.

4 Likes

@45IPAC

Things I miss about the Air Force…….

Reveille and retreat played at the beginning and end of the day on base……

The sight of afterburners on the runway at dawn/dusk…

The whine of a C-5’s engine…….

The “burp” of an A-10’s 30mm gatling on a live fire range……. :grinning:

3 Likes

I’m with @45IPAC! My choice would be the A-10 Warthog. It s a gun with a plane built around it!

5 Likes

Laughable. The only people ‘safer’ would be the scum of society including but not limited to politicians, pedophiles, cartels, organized crime, and terrorists.

3 Likes

It seems “what if” type discussions can sometimes lose focus and become unproductive, but in this case I think it has provoked a great deal of useful conversation. Not necessarily about guns in general, but the current state of our society and human nature in general.

All I can really add is the fact I don’t want to have to find a way to conceal a sword, cause as many others have pointed out, the ways to kill and hurt others are endless and without the equalizing factor of firearms I’d be afraid the world would revert back to the dark ages.

2 Likes