Rookie gun owner

I will chime in and say I feel I have greatly benefited from dry-fire training in the privacy of my own home. Rehearsing trigger pulls such that they do not change the Point Of Aim (POI) to drawing from a concealed holster are just a couple of skills you can hone without leaving home or spending money on ammo.

The biggest risk/danger is getting lax at confirming the dry-fire gun is absolutely empty. This guy not only broke the 4 rules of safe gun handling, but also failed to confirm his gun was empty:

I personally keep guns in my safe loaded with snap caps. Even though I am the only person that ever goes into my safe, I drop the magazine and lock the slide back to inspect for an empty chamber every dry-fire training session. The reason is every one of those guns have magazines and ammo available, and I have to be sure I never have a brain fart and returned one of them to the safe after loading and carrying them.

Edit: Here’s the link to the article just in case the linked thread gets broken: Dry fire turns deadly after basic gun safety rules ignored – Bearing Arms

4 Likes