Robbery? Need some help on this

Okay. I work at a gas station I’ve been robbed 3 times, after the 1st one your mind goes into shock like wtf just happened I’ve been robbed and your mind is in attack mode. Anybody and everybody is a threat to you, you can’t stop thinking about it, you’re stressing about it, constantly talk about it. In my situation I got robbed the 1st time, then 4 days later got robbed a 2nd time, and my mind went into overload. Panic attacks and everything. A whole year after working at the gas station, suprise was robbed a 3rd time but because this wasn’t my first rodeo and I just went through all the stress from the 1st two it didn’t really effect me but changed my mindset to okay I’ve been robbed, what am I going to do about it?

So. Our other store got robbed a week or 2 ago.

One of the coworkers was talking about how the managers at that store are getting pissed off cause the dude won’t stop talking about it. He was quiet with me about it when he worked with me at my store, and he was pretty much calm helping my store out, probably cause he knows I’ve been robbed 3 times, and that I carry against company policy. Screw company policy for all I care.

But I tried telling the coworker that helped out today that he’s going to be talking about it, he has a right to talk about it. None of you guys were there, yes you understand the store got robbed, but you don’t know what his mind is going through.

I just wonder what kind of advice I can give to the coworker who just got robbed. I was 20 when I first got robbed and this kid is 20 now. It made me so angry that he got robbed, and I don’t know the guy personally. But he stopped me a few days after the robbery and told me the store is treating it like a joke and this that and the other and I told him your store is going to turn around and tell you to stop talking about the robberies or they’re going to terminate you for inducing panic.

I just don’t know what to say to him. It took me awhile to cope with it. Anybody want to give me some thoughts and what I should say to him?

1 Like

I think you said it best yourself. Be quiet about what happened, but learn from it. A) is a gas station worth working at? B) state that when it happens again, because it seems likely, he needs to have a plan of what to do in the moment- and a plan for the fight after the fight. C) knowing FULL compliance while being robbed might save you… but bad guys dont always wait for the money. Sometimes they shoot to get you out of the way.
So is the job really worth it, when it would seem your bosses don’t take it seriously? And is safety worth more than money?
I would bet someone will have a better answer though, so be patient!

2 Likes

To me it’s just a job with easy money. I haven’t been robbed in almost 2 years and I carry everyday. I realize that I’m more likely to be robbed on the street than I am here, the gas station he works at it has been over 10 years since they got robbed. Everybody’s reaction to it is so what you’ve been robbed, I’ve had coworkers tell me they wouldn’t give this person the money cause he didn’t have the gun. I turn around and ask them then why aren’t you on midnights getting robbed? Because I don’t want to get robbed. For the most part I stick to myself and stay on my midnights. It’s an easy paycheck to me.

1 Like

As for shutting my mouth. They threatened to fire me for talking about it, I’ve continued to talk about and still talk about it, and will continue to talk about it. Unless you got a muzzle on my face, I won stop talking about it. Been here for 3 years and they haven’t fired me yet.

1 Like

My advice, if the owner isn’t taking the robbers serious, look for another job. You both are putting your life on the line and possibly can go to prison for peanuts…Find another job and quite.

2 Likes

And what do I do when I go to a factory that pays less than what I’m being paid at now, has a no gun sign on the door so legally I can’t carry and will get fired and charged for carrying a gun on the premises, with many people panhandling outside when you get off? You have more of a chance getting robbed out there then where I’m at.

1 Like

I worked at a place like that in the early 80’s. Got robbed three times and the store got shot at once. It was a job but, definitely not worth your life. There are other places that give you more support, if you want to continue in the same field find a better place to work.

4 Likes

Sorry, if you don’t agree with my answer but what you have written to us, I would look for another place to work. Why do you have to work in a gas station and risk your life and possibly your freedom; especially, for something you don’t own? If something would happen, God forbid, and you shoot someone in self defense is the owner going to back you up 100%? …Get into a trade like a Pipeline welder, pipe fitter, electrician, plumber or if you want to carry, a police officer.

2 Likes

Sorry I am to emotional to give you a great answer.

It’s his God beeeeeeeeep story. Some people react differently. If he needs someone to talk to about it and you feel like you can do it. If he needs more I am sure there are therapist’s in the area who can help.

I wound up in alot of trouble the first time someone “robbed” me (guy ran past atm where I had cash out and grabbed and ran). If it wasn’t for all the cameras around I would have been in deep.

3 Likes

Sometimes listening is more valuable then telling…

If he starts saying things like what should I do. Just be honest:

• I dont know. That didnt happen to me
  • I did blank when that happened to me.
  • I worked when I did it because…, it it didnt work because??

Regarding your employment options. Small business owners usually value honesty and loyalty in an employee over almost anything else. Probably because it has been so rare for long. If your that guy go door to door and tell your story. It doesnt matter what the business is or if they have a sign out, visit them all, ask to talk to the owner, look him in the eye when you tell him your story, and be willing to learn.

Been robbed three time and still there… man thats loyalty
Only out looking now because you don’t like how they are treating a coworker going through it… man that’s integrity…
Been handling money for few years with no problems where he is now… he must be honest
I could use a guy like that…

You might have to knock on 5, 50, or 100 doors but it will work. Covid has closed some businesses but it has opened some others. Delivery services, cleaning & sterilization are just a couple off of the top of my head.

If too many front doors are closed due to covid then look them up on line and start calling. The secret will be finding that 2 to 20 man business and selling the owner on your character.

4 Likes

I agree 100 percent with @Walter3 from what you are saying I would get a job else where.

1 Like

If it were me I would get over it and thank the good lord that nothing happened to me and I would seek employment elsewhere. In July of 1986 as a rookie officer myself and a friend of mine also a rookie officer were eating in McDonalds and we were eating and there were about 15 to 20 customers in there. 4 male blacks entered and 1 with a long arm stood by the door and another in the old dark colored van waiting in the van drivers seat. 2 with handguns which I can clearly see made the female cashier empty out all the registers while the others looked out. they paid no attention to the patrons eating inside. My friend went to reach for his firearm and I shook my head giving him the NO sign. After they exited with the cash they left the scene and no one was harmed. one of the employees called 911 and they arrived within 5 minutes. We identified ourselves as 2 off duty officers to the highest ranking officer on the scene a Captain. I had the partial license plate written in my head which i gave to another officer on the scene. The captain wanted to know why if we were there we did not take action and I stated that my friend wanted to but I said NO by shaking my head because I did not want innocent people getting killed. After all was said and done the captain came to me and my friend, shook our hands and said we made the right call. It was nerve wrecking but we still ate there again and continued to patronize that same McDonalds and we spoke about the incident again while we were hanging out together. We came out smelling like roses and until this day I still tell my friend I could not believe you were going for your gun and he says he’s glad he did not.

3 Likes

My wife worked a a c-store and was closing one night when she got robbed by a guy with a sawed off shot gun. It was years ago. She deals with it now, but it still affects her. She still finds the need to talk about it to sort out her feelings. My son was with her, so she was double scared. You don’t “get over” being the victim of an armed robbery. My son deals with it by not talking. He holds it in. He’s not inward or shy, just doesn’t talk about it. We all deal in different ways.

6 Likes

Yep. Having been through it 3 times it’s not easy. I deal with it by getting into Concealed Carry, and start focusing on situational awareness how to manage unknown contacts what to do in the right situations and it gets my mind off being robbed.

2 Likes