Road rage incident in FL: example of restraint

4 Likes

The classic “don’t bring a knife to a gunfight.”

I never know what starts these. The story reads that the pickup driver cut off the motorcyclist before stopping and getting out. I have to assume there was some event before that, real or imagined. I’m also not sure why the motorcyclist bothered to dismount instead of riding away. Perhaps the pickup driver had been pursuing him for some time and was expected to continue, or perhaps the biker had already stopped at his destination? I can’t tell. Getting out of the car or off the bike is a last resort, though. Things rarely end well when drivers exit their vehicles.

5 Likes

I ride to work daily and this :point_up:t4: is the wisest and first move when faced with danger.

3 Likes

Two dumb asses met?

5 Likes

Reverse doesn’t work very well on a motorcycle, especially with a passenger on back. Given the choice to drive forward towards someone swinging a knife or get mobile on foot, I think he made the best choice.

4 Likes

This could’ve gone bad real quick. Kudos to the motorcyclist for the restraint and to deescalate the situation. Another reason WHY to call the authorities right away after ANY incident.

In this situation though, the motorcyclist should’ve just called in 911, submitted plate numbers and road away from the scene. IMO.

He had the ability to get away before even pulling out his firearm.

This is a great scenario though for Firearm RESTRAINT. Just because you have the “power” to do “work” doesn’t mean you should.

If he pulled the Trigger, one guy could’ve been dead and the cyclist in jail for a very long time. Or both in jail and the truck driver with a lighter sentence. Not legal advice and my own opinion. Thoughts?

5 Likes

Exactly. Getting out/off a vehicle to de-escalate a situation is definitely a last resort.

4 Likes

Truck driver seemed determined to use the knife,he made at least one swing for effect. Rationality did come back to the bully once he looked down the barrel of a gun (a miracle!), and he switched from “Ima stab you!” to “Ima call mommy(911)” mode, not exactly what I can call deescalation. Credit for no injuries still goes to the biker.

5 Likes

Two idiots walk into a bar…

If I pulled a gun every time a car cut me off while riding I’d never put it away. Two fools deserve each other.

2 Likes

Did he draw a gun because he was cut off, or did he draw a gun because a guy swung a knife at him?

3 Likes

He did not unholster his firearm until the knife was swung at him, which is why (I believe) the police said he acted appropriately. I think the bigger question is why he ever let himself get into that situation. There could be a valid reason he was off his bike, I don’t know, the video doesn’t have all the context.

4 Likes

IMO >>> delete delete delete delete !

• golden rule # 1 = never get off your bike.
  • golden rule # 2 = never get out of your rig.
    If these rules are not followed you can expect this.

HAPPY THOUGHTS.

1 Like