Riots, looting, arson, and defense of business property?

It’s bad enough to have the government shutdown your business, but riots, looting, and arson, disguised as a protest are a whole different level of destruction of your property and your very livelihood. Unless you are living on the business premises what can you legally do to protect what is your life work?

3 Likes

Some people use an unfortunate event as an excuse to riot or break into businesses to steal. I believe in the right to lawfully assemble. Hopefully you have some type of vandalism or theft insurance. It’s ashamed how people behave.

4 Likes

Alabama Code Title 13A. Criminal Code § 13A-3-23

(a) A person is justified in using physical force upon another person in order to defend himself or herself or a third person from what he or she reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of unlawful physical force by that other person, and he or she may use a degree of force which he or she reasonably believes to be necessary for the purpose. A person may use deadly physical force, and is legally presumed to be justified in using deadly physical force in self-defense or the defense of another person pursuant to subdivision (5), if the person reasonably believes that another person is:

(2) Using or about to use physical force against an occupant of a dwelling while committing or attempting to commit a burglary of such dwelling.

(4) Using or about to use physical force against an owner, employee, or other person authorized to be on business property when the business is closed to the public while committing or attempting to commit a crime involving death, serious physical injury, robbery, kidnapping, rape, sodomy, or a crime of a sexual nature involving a child under the age of 12.

Seems like Alabama has it covered…

6 Likes

Get insurance, and make sure they don’t have a clause against “riot or insurrection”.

5 Likes

It’s getting bad here, I have ot from VERY reliable sources that BLM is going to be moving this **it very close to me. I’ve dealt with BLM before in Illinois and where they go, death and destruction follows.

On the plus side, a CNN crew got arrested.

4 Likes

Us hillbilly’s in West Virginia are waiting for the rioters like…

6 Likes

In NH…

627:7 Use of Force in Defense of Premises. – A person in possession or control of premises or a person who is licensed or privileged to be thereon is justified in using non-deadly force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate the commission of a criminal trespass by such other in or upon such premises, but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4 or when he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson.

3 Likes

That’s got to be one of my top favorite movies… I’m your huckleberry!!!

3 Likes