Returning to work: Security Changes

Many things have changed over the first half of this year.

We’ve gone from normal, every-day life to sheltering in place and not being able to go anywhere to slowly returning to normal life. Work-life has been affected as well.

As we return to work from working at home or not working, has your employer changed their security procedures at all?

3 Likes

My wife’s work has. They have installed extra card keyed exit/entrances in long halls. Many doors that used to be open are now locked. Mask,glove and hand sanitizer stations outside of every office and classroom. They still aren’t sure whether they are allowing students back in the fall or not.

3 Likes

Mandatory wearing of face masks and lots of overtime

4 Likes

Nope, still have to show ID.

2 Likes

Mandatory wearing of facemark, temperature check every morning plus health questionaire.

2 Likes

Mandatory face masks for all, regardless of your health issues and temperature check stations at all entrances. Plus, half occupancy.

2 Likes

Mandatory health checks, and wearing of facial coverings. I work for Walgreens. Home office in Deerfield, Illinois. They will tow the Pritzker line, and then some. We have always have “No gun” signs, and aren’t supposed to carry knives. Security wise, nothing has really changed.

3 Likes

I for the most part head the security where I work (among many other things). After some layoff and furloughs I am once again a Facilities department of 1.

Where I work the security has not changed (entrance into the building is and always has been controlled by card readers). What has changed is for safety concerns. We are considered an essential business so we have never shut down.

As much of the workforce as possible were required to work from home, if there was an occasional need to come into the office we have a kiosk system for visitors and what we did was require the people that only occasionally had a need to come into the office to sign in with this system. This sent and alert to the safety team members (the ones who had to be on-site everyday) so if something were to happen (fire, tornado…) we would know what people were on-site that normally would not be so we could account for them.

As we start letting our workforce back into the buildings (sometime in July) the county is allowing a phased return of the work force, 25 % to start. While it is causing new challenges we are finding ways to keep people safe while adhering to policies the local government is dictating.

The planning has been interesting at times if for no other reason than trying to explain that each department does NOT get to bring back 25% of their work force. They keep forgetting about the people who were essential on-site all along and those people still count toward the 25%. Fun times with upper middle management types.

2 Likes

It would be helpful if you list the type of industry you are in. Like office workers are likely getting different rules from construction workers, etc.

I am especially interested in those saying you will have temperature checks…

2 Likes

If you are asking me my company makes cancer radiation treatment platforms. We design prototype build and write the software for the machines. We also have training classes for customers who purchase the platforms as well as the upgrades both hardware and software.

The work restrictions I spoke of are mandated by the county after our governor over stepped his authority by illegally extending his safer at home order (it was overturned by our state supreme court). Some counties decided to strike a political statement by siding with the governor and enforcing it at the county level.

Makes it a mess knowing what you can and cant do as you cross county lines.

2 Likes

My workplace was essential for the defense department and homeland. I work in the welded bellows industry. Nothing has changed.

2 Likes

I was kind of asking everyone who has posted so far. Doesn’t have to be that level of detail :wink: I just wanted to see maybe what is typical in certain industries/locations

2 Likes