Retired police officer under HR 218

What can tell a retired police officer about concealed carry permit under HR 218, peace officer safety act?

2 Likes

What questions do you have, I just did my annual qualification today. While it is a federal law, how it is implemented is done at the state level.

1 Like

Hawaii pretty much doesn’t recognize it. Their law makes you register with them if you are in Hawaii longer than 3 days.
There are detailed explanations of HR 218 online.
I qualify every year with my old Dept in the PRC (People’s Republic of California.)

2 Likes

Check out these to blogs, @Peter18 and let me know what specific questions you still have after reading them and I’ll see how much clarification I can get for you.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/federal-ccw-law/federal-law-enforcement-officers-safety-act-leosa/

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/where-can-i-carry/

1 Like

I re-qualified yesterday and will turn in my paperwork to my local sheriff’s office tomorrow. I’m cutting it a little close with my current permit expiring on 9/14. Last year it took he state police 9 days to issue. The year before only 3 days and it was all done online that year. I’ll just need to keep a copy of my annual qualification with me to prove I am still certified.

@bulldog Hawaii is probably the one place i will not take a weapon with me if I ever get back there again. You can carry but, if it hasn’t changed, you actually have to register with law enforcement in each jurisdiction you go to. At least that’s what it looked like 15 years ago.

Otherwise, LEOSA generally allows active and retired officers to carry anywhere a local CCL would allow you to carry and in some other areas as well.

@Peter18 there can also be issues with being able to exercise the privileges created under LEOSA because the federal government cannot require states to accommodate the law and or require an agency to provide the required identification for retired LEOs.

1 Like

Thank you. These articles answered all my questions about a retired police officer to carry a concealed weapon under HR-218.

1 Like