Replace Police (Defund Police Services)

Generally 25 mins here. But that has improved somewhat over the last few years I understand. I was watching one of my fav Military movies one day. Sgt Told the LTC that the column would be there in 5 mins. The LTC told the Sgt nothing takes 5 mins. In those first golden mins its just us against the bad guy.

2 Likes

On the subject of our Leos It just isn’t possible for them to be every where. I think there needs to be a funding of all our emergency workers. Additional training. I think Constitutional law should be a big part of it. Every Police Dept across the country should have on going instruction. While I’m at at it, It should be required for all that serve in Congress. Because it sure looks like some of them don’t know anything about it.

7 Likes

Check this out and laugh if you want to. Weekend Update: Biden Calls for Gun Control - SNL - YouTube

3 Likes

Reminds me just how much I miss Dan Aykroyd and Jane Curtin. I honestly haven’t watched SNL regularly since they were on.

7 Likes

LEOs, have you seen any news reports on Fox News about police departments, local and state coming under increased Federal oversight? Thought I read this on fox news but don’t see it now.
This seats a few nerves on edge and well scares the heck out of me. Would like to hear from our LEOs if they have heard about this and what they think!
Thanks

2 Likes

Something like this. :thinking:

1 Like

On the one hand, I can see some value in establishing national LE best-practices while allowing individual departments to develop their own methods of implementing them. I can also understand where federal dollars for local LE departments could reasonably be dependent on implementation of such standards. It’s “their” money (even though it’s technically our money!)

On the other hand, no way should we have a national police force under the control of politicians and bureaucrats in Washington D.C… Effective policing (I think) is based on a deep understanding of specific communities. There’s very little chance that the USDOJ could effectively deploy one model of policing for the entire country.

National standards (I suspect these already exist) and certification could be helpful, but the final say on policing should stay at the local level.

5 Likes

In my opinion, there is one step that would go a long way in accomplishing most of what you suggest. And that is the requirement that all Public Safety Heads (Chiefs, Commanders, etc.) be elected by the public like Sheriff’s are instead of being political appointees.

3 Likes

@BRUCE26 Yep that’s the one.

2 Likes

In my opinion, the one step which would really lead to accountability and change in law enforcement:

Have the supervisory and command staff and the responsible elected officials face the lawsuits and suspensions and investigations and dismissals and jail time — instead of the individual officers they are responsible to select, train, supervise, and discipline becoming the scapegoats to conveniently throw under the bus and be chased around by an outraged and pitchfork wielding public. Those leaders encourage the public and the media to buy their premise that with rank comes immunity — not responsibility.

When there is a bad act or outcome in public safety, it is occasionally the work of a deep cover evil being who has infiltrated a healthy organization. But mostly, it is the predictable result of a flawed agency or unit culture which tolerates or promotes evil (or just incompetence) by selecting the wrong individuals to receive the wrong training to do the wrong things with inadequate supervision.

Address the cause, not the outcome.

5 Likes

Agree 100 percent @techs and it’s always the old saying that says crap rolls down hill. Its been like that the 20 years I served. The people who should’ve taken the blame never did. That’s why nowadays LEO don’t respond like they should. There’s always that thought in the back of their minds, What if?

3 Likes

A utopian police force will never exist. Sad. But true.

2 Likes

If we are honest we realize the problem is not the police departments it is how we as a society look at the criminals in our society. If a cop steps out of line as defined by his job description he or she becomes a criminal and should be punished.

But much like the military we need hard strict people to contain the hard evil malcontents in society. The legal system can determine their ultimate punishment or innocence if we let it play out as designed. What we don’t need is D.A.s or Judges allowing evil because the offender was raised evil. We saw that last Summer as the burned and looted our cities because they were mad.

We need to get back to a society where we can protect our property and family and receive the support of our law enforcement for doing so. We do not need a social worker trying to arbitrate between the criminal and the citizen. As long as we restrict law enforcement and ask them to act like collage professors we will get more and more violent offenders.

If anything we need to have more community policing and policies like stop and frisk. If not realize that sooner or later the victims that aren’t receiving justice will take justice into their own hands.

4 Likes

Aw, come now, we need to overcome evil with love. You know, that Joe Biden love.

Actually, I agree with most of what you’re saying. But I do think police should not be dispatched mor health snd welfare checks considering how many have gone south really fast. EMT and/or fire departments might be a better choice. Just don’t send some newby to such an event. There are situations where someone with knowledge and experience would no doubt perform much better.

1 Like

And at an even higher level, if we’re honest we really see that all these problems go away when we as a nation repent and turn our hearts toward God. Sadly, I think we have a lot more destruction to go through before our nation wakes up and makes a u-turn.

But I can still hope.

4 Likes

@KillJoy
If someone hasn’t been to a domestic call to the police it is possible that don’t realize how dangerous it can be. A social worker with the voice and demeanor of Dr. Phil can’t defuse a mentally ill person that has just put a butchers knife through their 12 year old step child for back talking. And while you are correct many of the call the police get are harmless many are dangerous. I have seen husbands and wives slugging it out only to in unison turn on an officer for trying to break up the fight.

If the call is bad enough to call the police it is too dangerous for a social worker. In my experience. Not all the time I agree but way more often than media would have you believe. If the question is do the police go too far at times? Yes they do but not sending the police is far more dangerous to society. Once again from what has been happening to our cities with decreased policing. So that too is experience.

I agree we need professional officers and experienced ones. But I don’t think social workers can replace them.

@Scott361 yes we have lost much of our social moral compass. But that is another topic that can take pages to discuss.

6 Likes

I just feel like this whole topic is a means to replacing current police with a new force willing to break the constitution. They’ll call them something different and at first they may not even be armed but that won’t last long. Before you know it we’ve replaced police with a force of zero tolerance and no constitutional guidelines to adhere to. Classic tyrannical take over. As it is, sheriffs have the ability to arrest government. That’s for a reason. How many good, constitutional sheriffs will remain on the force if this ridiculousness continues. Grass roots local police not only protect us from the criminals on the streets but also the criminals in the courts and governments. I wonder how happy they were to arrest rioters and criminals only to have them released in hours for money. This is not an accident and for a purpose and that is to get rid of the current, un-brainwashed, and good cops. Same thing is currently happening in the military. It’s sad

5 Likes

The kind of health and welfare call I’m speaking of are like the ones on our local news. A neighbor thing he’s doing a good deed saw a neighbors door opened, called the police. The police show up and find nothing but a women in her own home and he shot her through her window.

BTW: the LEO who shot her goes on trial 2 years later. Fort Worth

2 Likes

And the system is designed to deal with an officer that exceeds his authority or training. However what happens when the open door is because of a armed intruder or home invader? Social worker shows up and is shot and left bleeding. Do we continue to send in unarmed citizens till someone sees someone getting shot? Or do we cut back on the police so there is no one to send? Ask the people that are underserved in Portland, Seattle and Minneapolis? I say social workers come “after” the fact not before. How many realize that the fire department will not enter a building where there is a suspected gun shot or knife attack until the police clear the building. Here you have trained first line responders waiting till it is safe. Do any of us believe a social worker will be more effective? Even in England they are arming some of their officers because people have decided there is no reason to submit to an unarmed person they think they can beat.

I am sure there have been thousands of welfare checks where officers didn’t shoot anyone and thousands more where they confronted criminals without shooting them?

I question the ability of a 105 pound social worker, that comes up against a 230 pound man that has been beating his wife so that neighbors have called the police, will have the ability to save even one life. That is just from ride alongs in Metropolitan L.A. I also will be willing to bet no social worker will be dispatched to Chicago for a open door check, ever. But that may just be me.

2 Likes

They could just send unarmed people who agree to get shot.

Oh yea…there are none.

4 Likes