Renewing my CCW and reviewing my CCW gear

Pocket carrying a S&W Centennial in a Bianchi 152 works very well for me. With a speed loader (HKS or QuickLoad) I’ve been able to keep things simple, light weight and convenient, so I’m asking myself if I need another holster (IWB or OWB) and why, exactly? Another option for carrying, but an option I haven’t really missed having over the past two years. It would provide a faster draw but not as fast as drawing from the pocket with the Centennial already discreetly in my hand.

I’ve also added a second firearm to my permit—a .45 Government Model. I’m considering upgrading my holster----a Bianchi Black Widow which has become pretty soft and worn, with either an OWB Wilson or Milt Sparks and maybe 8 round magazines after a period of testing to gain confidence in them. I already have a gun belt.

The 1911 represents a considerably more gear oriented rig than the simple Centennial and my reason for adding it to my CCW is that it is the only other handgun I have suitable for carrying so at least having that as a legal option seems prudent and I’m comfortable with Miss Slabsides as I carried her well over two decades ago when I was with the SO— also more hammered (far more hammered) examples were still in the inventory when I served in the Army Reserve. I have quite a bit of range ammo for training and thankfully three boxes of Winchester JHPs (from when Walmart abandoned handgun ammo) for carry

So what I’m interested in knowing is, what haven’t I taken into consideration in assembling this new and hopefully improved CCW battery? Have I overlooked anything either for the Centennial or the 1911?

3 Likes

I have no input on your pocket pistol, the only time I go to that level is with a Derringer and I’m probably already uncomfortable with the crowd I’m forced to be with.

Now for the 1911, since you are already familiar with Bianchi I would recommend the Model #3S as an IWBH as it has a stout snap over belt type closure (you don’t have to thread your belt into it) , you can “cant” the gun/ride via the integral disk and most important it has a thumb brake for cocked and locked carry. I’ve been running them on multiple platforms for decades and they are my go to choice hammer or no hammer as my muscles will unsnap it as a normal reaction. OBTW I carry at ~4:00 with a forward rake or cant and the grip fits nicely under my rib cage and just tucks in snugly. I’m 6’-2", 180 lbs and have been aerodynamic all my life and finally have about a 1" “Dun-Bulge” over my belt as opposed to where a belly “Dun-Lops” over the belt but I’m still a 32-34 in britches. YMMV.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Milt Sparks makes excellent holsters, I would look at one of theirs. I have had no issues with 8 round mags, but of course, shoot them and make sure they work before you carry. Are you going to carry a spare mag or mags? If not, I would add that.

I am not familiar with the holsters Crag6 mentioned. I am sure they are good also.

1 Like

Interesting!
I had a Bianchi #3S back when I carried a Detective Special and it suited me well.
When Bianchi production moved to Mexico I was worried about the quality of the leather, however the Model 152 I purchased for the Centennial was made in Mexico and the quality of the leather was easily on par with the original US made Bianchis.
So I checked out Optics Planet and low and behold, the #3S for a 1911 was on sale, being closed-out!
So I ordered it.
And I wasn’t even looking for an IWB holster!
Thanks for the suggestion! It looks like I’m on my way to collecting my own cardboard box full of holsters now! :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll be carrying a spare mag—could you recommend a discrete way to carry it?

1 Like

Crap I need to order another one! Thanks for the heads up!!

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

$63.99 and free shipping. It sounded like a deal to me!

1 Like

I use a snap on DeSantis mag carrier or carriers for my extra mag. I don’t see it on their site, but this is it: DeSantis Gunhide F.T.U. Single Leather Magazine Pouch

It is OWB, I carry my gun that way, so I figure no real need to hide the extra mag…

3 Likes

I’m looking at mag holsters since I don’t trust my pockets.

Is that a California permit that limits it to three handguns?

I did a change also on my most recent (first) renewal, switching guns but still only two listed.

1 Like

Some might say you can never have enough and you can have too much.

Sounds like you have it well thought out.

2 Likes

I understand any limitation is at the discretion of the County doing the issuing.
I think it’s now 10 firearms in Fresno however there isn’t a limit in Madera (or so I’ve been led to believe.)
It used to be limited to 3 firearms back in the 80s although the permit had room to list four, and that was statewide if I recollect correct;y.
California is a funny state and stuff changes quickly around here, Frankly I was quite relieved to pick up my renewal this morning.

2 Likes