Remington 700 Finish

I will definitely look into that! Thanks!

2 Likes

Hey brother @Levi2 the Mil-Tech brother @Virgil_H recommended looks good I googled it brother give that a try. If it worked with him and his war fighters it will for you.

2 Likes

Are you able to post pictures? Are you sure its rust or is it some kind of chemical reaction? Is the rust destroying the finish or when you wipe the rust away, does the finish appear original?

2 Likes

I can post a couple pictures when I get home. I have to scrub the rust away. It’s definitely eating the finish.

1 Like

You might try getting it hard chromed. If keeping it lubed and still getting rust isn’t working that might be a solution.

2 Likes

I may get it re-parkerized. I talked to a guy on the phone this morning that said he’d cut me a deal on refinishing, but I haven’t heard a price yet. Hopefully it’s cheap lol

1 Like

A good parkerizing job is a beautiful thing but it is always a crap shoot as to what color it actually comes out as. You might want to look at some of Brownell’s finish products as they offer several. I have personally used the Gun Kote, Baking Lacquer and Aluma Hyde to great effect on a variety of platforms. Since it is only a bolt you can cook it in the house oven but make sure the wife will be out for a while as it does stink while cooking. I’ve done a lot of parts on the grill for that reason.

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

I will look into that! That guy never called me back with a price :roll_eyes:. While I don’t have much experience aside from cold blue (if you can call that experience), I am good at following directions (when I actually read them). I think I could manage a diy job. Again, thanks everyone that gave ideas. I really appreciate y’all’s help. I will try these things, and we’ll see what happens!

1 Like

If you can spray paint with no runs no drips and no errors you can use the above listed. Be advised you have to maintain temperature when cooking them. I made a vertical oven from some dryer pipe to do a dozen Boy Scout 22’s and I used a turkey fryer as my heat source I had to do an emergency cut with a 1911 to cool down the tube as the turkey fryer puts out like 18,000 BTU’s . After patching the tear in the vent pipe I moved it away from the burner by like a foot to keep the heat down. Your normal BBQ grill will net you the 450 - 475*F you need with little issue. Hang the bolt with a pice of lock wire so it doesn’t melt and is mall enough to go through the firing pin hole and support the back end by going down the center of the bolt. Just make a hook and wrap the firing pin to suspend it. Hang t off the hot dog rack and carry on.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

I have a big wood pit I can put it in. It’s go plenty of room and holds an even temp at whatever I want it to. You are right about the burners! The one I use for crawfish gets stupid hot​:fire::fire: thanks for the pointers!

2 Likes

Careful with things that give off ash as it will screw your finish if you get a “POP”. I just try an pass on lessons learned so folks don’t have to experience it. I hope it works better than the “Dad tips” that I have given my boys that they immediately forgot. “Didn’t I teach you to 
?” “Oh THAT’s what you meant!”

Cheers,

Craig6

2 Likes

Good point!

1 Like