Remembering Pearl Harbor

Pearl Harbor

December 7, 1941, a date which will live in infamy…
No matter how long it may take us to overcome this premeditated invasion,
the American people, in their righteous might, will win through to absolute victory.

9 Likes

I was not there, but love of Country and respect for those who have served and given their lives was instilled at an early age by my Father…which is one reason why I joined the Air Force when I was young.
This is a ‘holy day’ for me.

5 Likes

U.S. Naval Academy tribute to Pearl Harbor. Navy Hymn.

4 Likes

:us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands::us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands::us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands::us_outlying_islands: :us_outlying_islands:
pearlgharbor

5 Likes

I was stationed in Pearl Harbor from 1999 to 2003 which also happened to be the time that they filmed the movie there. Having been in more than a few “conflicts” abroad I was absolutely shocked at my own reaction during some of the filming. I had cause to go over to the drydock side of the base for some reason while they were filming a Japanese zero doing a strafing run. There were no lights flashing on the wings to simulate the gun fire but I was a heartbeat from breaking into a run as that Zero bore down on the wing wall of the dry dock and then flashed over my head at mebby 500 feet. I was absolutely certain I had just witnessed what had occurred some 60 years earlier to some poor dumb squid standing where I was, except he was dodging bullets for real. The effect for surreal and profound and I remember it as vividly as any other high intensity action I have been involved in.

I went to the national cemetery in “the crater” with my sons who were Cub Scouts on Veteran’s Day to put Lei’s on the tombstones and was astounded at the number of grave stones that said “17 Unknown USS Oklahoma” (or pick a ship). At Lockwood hall on the sub base you can still see the bullet holes in the buildings if you look carefully as well as the Air Force side. On Ford Island which is now “Officer Country” you can drive past the hangars which have been updated but the tower still has bullet holes in it that for some reason refuse to be patched (the patches fall off after a couple of years).

Pearl Harbor was the fire that created the steel of America’s might and resolve, it was quenched in blood.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

Brooklyn boy, stationed there from 77 - 85 Comsubpac, re-enlisted on the Arizona Memorial! Probably the most peaceful place on earth, even when crowded.
Loved waiting for the ferry to Ford Island, don’t be late! Now there is a bridge or causeway.
Loved it when the islands where islands, now they are cities, such a shame the commercialization of O’ahu.

2 Likes