Redundancy for your EDC?

I carry my S&W M&P 2.0 Performance Center 9mm and keep a backup S&W M&P 2.0 9mm in my safe. Im a big fan of S&W.

4 Likes

Me also brother @Anthony2 :+1: :+1:

4 Likes

For me, as a gunsmith, itā€™s not much of a problem, since I am the shop. And I have alternatives to my EDC if I canā€™t work out the problem easily.

3 Likes

I donā€™t have any twins but I live in California and you can only carry guns listed on your CCW. So I have five listed on it.

4 Likes

There is something to be said about staying with the same manual of arms if your main edc is not available for carry.

5 Likes

I absolutely agree with you. Even though I do agree my love for 1911ā€™s has me caring my Kimber on rare occasions. Otherwise itā€™s a striker fired hellcat. I just removed a p938 from rotation know that my hellcat has a twin sister.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday!!

4 Likes

Thank you sir!

3 Likes

When training people who constantly switch between guns, Iā€™ve seen people, just under the stress of a drill, lose track of which gun they had in their holster. ā€œI forgot to turn off my safetyā€
Or grip angle is different causing less accurate shots. Do you think that could have a little bit of a cost to it during a gunfight?
Donā€™t get me wrong, I switch pistols now and then also. I go from a Sig P229 in 40 S&W to a Sig P229 in 9mm. :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

I know you are correct I have seen it myself. For me I shot 1911s for so long and so often that it is habit that my thumb slides down the rear of the slide disengage the safety on press. I even do it even though I now carry striker fired 98% of the time. No need to break a habit like that in my opinion itā€™s just second nature.

4 Likes

My primary EDC is an S&W M&P Shield in .45acp. I also have one chambered in 9mm. They both have thumb safeties and even use the same holster.

5 Likes

I wouldnā€™t say Iā€™m impressed by my main carry gun, but I have two so I can put a lot of wear on one and carry the other. Be a bummer if some spring or whatever gave up the ghost just when I needed it.

4 Likes

I posted this in another thread under range targets but it has to do with this particular topic of redundancy in EDC. Today was rain today for me and I took my edcs little sister to the range to sight in the Green Dot I put on her this weekend. It is the same optic is on my primary EDC. Iā€™m still waiting on talon grips and once installed should be set up exactly like my primary. After today there are 200 rounds Plus on her without a hiccup or cleaning. Center Mass is me sighting in the Green Dot at 7 yd. Of course when I go to the range I always have to put at least 50 rounds through my Kimber 45. Those are the headshots at 10 yards just horsing around. Primary goal today was adjusting the Green Dot and getting more rounds on the new hellcat. I have to do something the first Target not shown was me just getting the hellcats optic close. I slaved it to the front sight of the irons which seem to be pretty close to right on but with the optic it seemed about 8 inches out to start.

3 Likes

Redundancy is a good thing what if youā€™re forced to defend yourself and the police end up with the pistol

3 Likes

I usually carry the hellcat. I have two of them. Not the reason I have to but if one was confiscated Iā€™ve got The identical one to rely on.

3 Likes

I did the same thing for a few years with the smaller guns. At the time they didnā€™t have the round capacity many of them do now. I also wanted something with a longer barrel to take advantage of the little better ballistics and longer sight plain. Just too many times Iā€™m watching videos with multiple attackers.

2 Likes

This is a good question! I had pondered with this about a year and a half ago. My primary carry was a Cajun gunworks custom pcr in 9mm. I wanted to have a back up for the J.I.C. so I went with the P01 omega, although the trigger systems are different they are tuned to the same weight, grips, sights. So, I donā€™t miss a step with the change.
Yeah, I am a cz fan boy lol.

3 Likes