Red dot VS. Iron sights on your carry firearm

I’d be wary of forming a negative opinion on the concept in general based on using a super cheap likely questionable quality offering. Just sayin’, such a product may or may not give an accurate representation of what a good red dot sight has to offer

1 Like

I would rather spend the extra money on a laser. It can be used in the house as a point and shoot aid/practice with your unloaded handgun. Then it could also be used in low light conditions being able to hit your target if you are not good at point and shooting.

That’d be like saying, “I bought an Uncle Mike’s canvas holster and didn’t like it so I’m just gonna stuff my gun in my pants and call it good.”

3 Likes

I haven’t had a red dot yet. Have always used the iron and in almost all cases, the factory sights. I am getting older an my eyes are not what they used to be, so I have been looking at red dots. After considerable research I am ready to give it a try. Now I have to get a new pistol that will take a red dot, this is how I am explaining what will be my next purchase to my wife!! :grin:
Have a love of both my SA pistols, makes me lean towards getting the Hellcat RPD. However I have recently gotten to handle a Sig 365 and it was very smooth. Have been watching some vids of others, would gladly take any and all opinions on a preferred red dot pistol. Love my 1911 and could go that way, doesn’t need to be my CCW. I’m happy with my CCW, SA EMP4.

I just got a Shadow System MR920 and the front sight is big and bright, it’s almost like having a green dot on my pistol. :slight_smile:

Check out the “Big Dot” brand sights for the pistol you already have. Great aid for less than perfect vision, and they don’t require batteries. If you go the New Gun route I heartily recommend the Sig P365X, which is available with a red dot.

2 Likes

I had never used or wanted red dot optics on my handguns, but my Sig P320 RXP already had the Romeo 1 Pro mounted. I haven’t given the dot much work since it’s co-witnessed and irons get used, but the time is coming.
It’s still hard to beat a good 1911 with quality iron sights.

I plan to stick with irons for now. RMRs are cool and all, but it’s another thing to maintain, and they cost money. Good quality irons just sit there and look pretty.

If I do try an rmr down the road, I’ll make sure to have back up irons that can be seen through the glass, but I’m not planning on that.

2 Likes

Co-witness is a must on any firearm

1 Like

You ladies have heard me say this before, I “DO NOT” use the sights. I point shoot but it does require practice. I do have Crimson Trace lasers on all of my carry guns for low light shooting. The best thing about a laser is using it to practice your draw and point and shoot in the house with an EMPTY handgun. When I bought and installed the first laser, I was about 1 1/2 foot on target. With a lot more practice I was down to 2 or 3 inches. Draw, pick a target in one motion and see where the laser hits.

What distances do you practice/train out to?

12 yards mostly, very rarely do I even shoot a handgun from 25 yards

this makes me feel good!!

1 Like

Love those guys. Lots of wisdom there.

1 Like

Both - depending on the situation. Now that I’m older, I need reading glasses. I have progressives I use to focus on the front sight and also the target. But I don’t need the glasses with a dot.
Depends on concealment requirements and whether I’m likely to not be wearing glasses.

2 Likes

Red dot. Superior accuracy.

1 Like

I bought one and put it on a IWI Masada pistol it took me a while to get used to but once I learned I had to look down the barrel of the gun to find the red dot it became much easier. I bumped it pretty hard on something and it broke. I think they are great for competition but not so great for every day carry.

2 Likes

What make/model was it? Not all are created equal

1 Like