Red dot for TriStar?

I just bought a TriStar cobra 2 .410 ga shotgun and the sights seem to sit to low for me so I thought of getting a cheap red dot for it there’s 2 shallow grooves on the receiver which I believe is for mounting an optic … longest shot will be only about 40 yards… mostly for varmits,squirrels, chipmunks and maybe turkey. Any opinions, ideas , or advice ?

4 Likes

What is the distance between the grooves? One of my long guns has these and it resembles a short weaver type rail. I don’t have anything mounted currently, but I do know that they will hold an optic. I’d measure the grooves and get a cheap set of scope rings to make sure they’ll seat before you spend the money on an optic.

4 Likes

Not sure but is it weird I’m now nostalgic for my old .410 and want to buy one now? damn you and your influence! lol

5 Likes

Yeah it’s funny… while some guys are going long range… I’m going more for the close up stuff… like a good 1911 or shotguns (although I have an 870 w/rifled barrel & acutips is good out.to about 200 yards but hey, who wants to walk That far to check a target… for meat, sure… intruders ? Most definitely (but then you gotta carry a shovel)…
Nahh I just want one of everything (and someone to donate the ammo)

3 Likes

Good point… do you know anyone that sells peep sights ?.. which brings up another question… how would you mount a front sight for peeps ?

3 Likes

Brownells, Midway USA, and Google are your friends for a rear sight. For the front, I’d suggest finding a competent gunsmith to drill and mount a front post.

4 Likes

I don’t believe the front sight would be much to get done. The gunsmith will square up the barrel, drill and tap a hole, fit and file the sight post, thread in the sight with epoxy or locktite, and clean up. You can do this if you have a drill press and a boatload of patience. From personal experience, it’s easy, but it’s a “get it right the first time, or your screwed” thing. I had an old fixed choke single shot I cut 6 inches off of, reamed for remchoke, and installed a new front bead on.

3 Likes

Good advice but ya know… after careful thought , I’m thinking that … even though I’d like the sights a bit higher so I don’t have to press my cheek into the stock… the best thing I could do as far as sights go is practice… which of corse brings up another problem… finding ammo … and I need more than just .410 ammo…
damned ammunition is hard to find these days and harder to find a good price

2 Likes