Red Dot for Pistol

Question about using a red dot for a EDC gun: How does that work? Does the red dot stay on all the time or do you have to turn it on when you draw?

1 Like

Some Laser setups are activated when drawn, finger or grip, but I do not know of any red dots that activate that way. I’m sure the more knowledgeable people will chime in.

2 Likes

The Sig Romeo One turns on with movement of the firearm and turns off after a short time with no movement.

3 Likes

Most of the typical EDC red dots are on all the time, you just replace the battery every few months or yearly (depending on the model).

The ones that are motion activated (aka “shake awake”) will stay on until there is no movement for some amount of time (usually hours, one model I saw was 14hrs). In practice, that means while you are wearing it, it will always be on because you are always moving, even standing still your breathing and pulse will keep it awake. They only goto “sleep” when you take them off when you are done carrying it for the day.

I dont think I’ve seen a red dot that requires you to turn it on before using it for EDC. If you do come across it… dont buy that one :wink: It should always be there when you draw your firearm.

2 Likes

If you are referring to a Miniature Red Dot/Reflex Sight and not a laser, Sig and Holosun use motion activation. I’ve used both extensively and have had no issue whatsoever with the motion activation working properly. I have disabled sleep mode on my Holosun because I would hate to have it not work in a critical incident. The RMR is on all the time, I believe the Deltapoint Pro is as well. Not sure about Vortex or Burris.

2 Likes

Burris Fastfire 3 here, i can’t find any info on battery life, some say 40k hours some say more some less. I figure if i change the battery every couple months i should be good.
Does not have shake awake, 3 brightness settings and off. It’s not on my edc. In fact today was the first time I’ve used it.

2 Likes

If your worried about needing to turn it on (and adding time in a crisis) don’t, because unless it is in storage you just leave it on all the time. With or without sleep mode, shake awake, or what ever the OEM calls it battery life is pretty impressive on a red dot. A maintenance cycle (aka battery chage) at reasonable intervals should eliminate almost all concerns.
For ‘life may depend on it’ situations I would protect against any kind of failure (dropped, forgot to change the battery, or electronics destroyed by EMP) by making sure my iron sights co-witness and practice with them regularly. Red dots make it real easy to get lazy and forget the fundamentals.

1 Like

The Trijicon RMR I have stays on 24/7. The battery is supposed to last 2 years, but I think I will just change it out every year on my birthday.

1 Like