Range Mahem

I stopped into my range that I am a member at. I just got my silencer after 13 months of waiting. Anyway, Help Wanted sign was posted at the range and I had to inquire. It is not do you need me but, why are you hiring? and why is there a vacancy for this position? The guy at the counter knowing me well said," Employees are tired of the dangers going on by the customers!" He also stated, " I will be gone in two weeks myself!"
I even had to report a guy close to me shooting the pully mechanism randomly! No wonder some of the target mechanisms do not work well.
Lots of people coming into the range and the store with Washington State restrictions going into effect in July everyone is gathering up what they can before they become unavailable to the public. 10 round magazine capacity and all.

7 Likes

Shooting at the range and being trained aren’t the same thing. We see this all of the time on motorcycles. I talk to so many, mostly cruiser guys, who have hundreds of thousands of miles under their belts…every mile done wrong. Getting them to learn as the miles pass is nearly impossible. THIS is why so many push for training with purchase.

5 Likes

Glad to hear you got your silencer as it sounds like I ordered a month behind you, so hopefully soon.
I remember the yahoos riding and shooting, fortunately I dropped the idiot bikers and rode with the guys from my bike shop and the guys I raced with. First group was fast, but not stupid, second group on the road, we just went 65 everywhere,highway, Twisties, everywhere…got very Zen like.
Shooting…my club mates are just awesome. We got a good thing and know it, and no one wants to screw it up from what I see.

3 Likes

Appreciate the posts. I guess with the uptake in firearm purchasers, resulted in us seeing more errors in safety.

I’m getting into the habit of locking back the action, leaning towards DA/SA, and thumb safety’s. Just bought safety flags/plastic barrel blocker inserts. USCCA’s store has barrel blockers; I have some, the best accessory I’ve ever had.

We are those customers; May we learn, and learn.

Seems the range employment need is going on everywhere. Also, dangerous firearm owners, who think they know everything they need, are everywhere. Some of the ranges that have been around for quite awhile are not being kept up correctly.
Oh, I must agree also about motorcycle riders. I have 45+ years of H-D riding and was a Motorcycle Instructor for new people who were in the process of buying a motorcycle. They would take the Training Course to get a better insurance price or even some states would mandate the course.
Fact of it all, Training is the ultimate goal for everything.

5 Likes

One of the local outdoor ranges here have you shooting through metal tubes/pipes. Probably to lower insurance $$ but still not for me.

1 Like

The bigger issue/question is why are they - the employees - not addressing these safety issues? Either the shooter is provided range rules/instructions and follows them or is immediately removed from the range. Firearm safety is paramount. If there are any snowflakes that cannot handle it, let them melt, but not while at the range. Put a bucket outside for their tears next to the bullet trap.

1 Like

They have been addressing the issues, it is the regularity of having to address the issues that is wearing on them. Just saying!

1 Like

I have noticed that my local indoor range has a high turnover rate. I don’t utilize it very much but I notice that there is always someone new whenever I go there.

1 Like

Ultimate goal, or “first” things first? :blush:

Remember the record setting sales of firearms and ammunition of 2020/2021?

The concerns over firearm shops/ranges, and recent criminal shootings; Could this also be a fall-out or result of the high number of sales?

Have these two problems been the same the last 10-20 years, or increased incidents since past two years? IDK.

With Washington State and it’s limiting to a 10-round magazine., sales of guns are maintaining high!

I have been riding and shooting for many years. Thers always something to be learned daily I have found. Sometimes training is a rehash but even then, there is something new to picked up. :us:

A
2 Likes

Yep, I know of one close to me like that. :us:

A
1 Like

Arnie-w I have been riding HDs when the big bike was my 74ci FLH 12,00cc and I had a 1976bisintineal with A kicker and points and the first evo came out in 19,85 13,40 ,5 Speed I got my first bike when I was 17 years old in 1979 it was an iron head XLCH and at 17 I was the KOOLEST cat in the hood and at the clubhouse it took me till o6 to get to sterges S,D, I WAS BORN TO RIDE We would all ride to the river and that was the range and we would say there at red River New Mexico for two weeks it was ALSOME its not like that now days

1 Like

I took the motorcycle corse at VERON college in WF TEXAS in o6 after I got back from stergegges south decoda I had road every SENCE I was 17 on my 1980 XLCH IRON HEAD ,A,M,F , and got my listens after all that time with out no license I had to take the corse KAZ I had no schooling but graduated grade 6 so I went to college riding school and the DPS instructor would come a hour each day to help me with my letters for the three day EAGHT hour’s a day he came and hour earlier just to help me out to get my motorcycle training sertifick so I could have my license he was a biker as well and he came three hours for the an hour every day so I could pass he knew I had been riding SENCE 19,79, and he knew I had no schooling 6grade and over three decades of being a biker and he helped me HE WENT THE EXTRA THREE HOURS ONE ON ONE TO HELP ME PASS THE WRITEN PART OF THE CORSE AND HE IS MY FRIEND TO THIS DAY HE COULD NOT BLEAVE THAT I HAVE ROAD ALL THEM YEARS WITH OUT A LICENSE AND NO TICKETS GOD BLESS INSTROTORS :chile::100: