Range Danger

I’ve only been to indoor ranges when I visit my brother in GA. I live in AZ and I belong to an outdoor range. And I also have volunteered for them as a RSO when they needed extra help. But I’ve been there shooting for fun and when I see something unsafe I always say something to the unsafe shooters. And the RSO’s like it and most of the time come to find out what is going on. And my gun club also likes for other members to say something when they see unsafe shooting going on. I’m also a Certified NRA RSO.

2 Likes

It really doesn’t matter if I am conducting a course of fire, supervising a client for CWL qualification or just going to the range with my Wife and friends. I’m always “that guy” (RSO).

Following the Four Universal Safety rules and reminding others to do so as well doesn’t require a special qualification.

Be the RSO that you were called to be!

Stay safe

5 Likes

The only time I have ever been in a indoor range was when I bought the can. I coud not take it home until the paper work came in. We have a outdoor range owned by the law enforcement of our county, but you have to pay for a permit to use it.

2 Likes

Processing: 100_0840 - Copy.wmv…

A good testimonial/story. Our range is private. Only you or your group is permitted in the facility to use the pistol, rifle or 3 gun ranges. There is always 1 USCCA Certified RSO for this person or group. Other times there can be a USCCA Certified - RSO and DSF Instructor , who is more than happy to help or give tips if asked. The key is “if asked” we never butt in like a Mr. SmartyPants.

3 Likes

This is a great thread to show all danger at Ranges.
Let’s post stories and links that make are think about everything that can happen and avoid accidents in future.

6 Likes

Great idea. I’ve seen this one before. It doesn’t get any less cringe worthy after repeated viewings.

1 Like

Well, because of all these dangerous happenings, (crazies), my wife and I started talking about buying property large enough to put in our own private range.
Jerzy’s video on this thread really puts a knot in your stomach.

5 Likes

Unfortunately due to the number of new gun owners, all too often, wether at the range or at training classes or even on pro-gun type blogs, whenever you try to offer advice or say something regarding safety issues, the know it all’s cram it back in your bodily orifice sideways.
Many times I have to walk away and remind myself that most people are good and it’s only the few asses but lately it seems like there’s more than just a few.

1 Like

That is unbelievable. Wow, no words.

2 Likes

Yeah… scary… isn’t it?
We can talk about it for years and people still will do such things.
I remember discussion at this Community while ago about mandatory training before carrying the firearm… that was depressing when few members posted that “mandatory” would be the attack for their freedom guaranteed by Constitution… :zipper_mouth_face:

So I agree with you…

1 Like

There is another side to this situation, new reloaders are just as dangerous if not properly educated. I was in the local gun shop the other day and the only powder they had on the shelf was for pistol loads and it is used in a FEW small rifle wildcat cartridges. A customer in the store was so desperate to reload some 223/5.56 rounds for his AR that he was determined to use said powder for his project because the wildcat he was looking at happened to use the same bullets as a 223. I warned him that the powder was far too fast burning to be used in a 223 that he would be at a huge risk for failure if he used it. He basically told me to screw off because “what could go wrong?” and he bought 3 cans of it to use anyway. I really hope I am no where near him when he tests out his theory.

4 Likes

I have been to a few of those. You know, the ones where you feel you need one in the chamber just to get to your vehicle safely. I have left a few ranges where a patron was unsafe. Even at a range that I trust, always wary.

2 Likes

Smart move. And welcome to the Community!

2 Likes

Omg. Unbelievable.

1 Like
4 Likes

My son is 15. I am proud of his firearm handling and training thus far. He just completed another hands on course. He asked me how many he should do? My answer - “Really? I hope you don’t think there is a maximum number?” He gets the point. The training for proficiency never stops - nor the respect for the firearm.

3 Likes

Thankfully that doesn’t at the range I go to. It’s a huge club with a lot of members and both indoor, outdoor ranges. Sure there is some stupid stuff that goes on. But there isn’t c**p that is tolerated.

In the video title, there’s that “accidental” term again. I think as long as people use that word, it enables the excuse of “it wasn’t my fault, because it was an accident.”

1 Like

Years ago I was the IT Manager at a county health department. They always talked about “car accidents”. At one of the staff meetings the Commissioner said they aren’t accidents. Every one of these “Collisions” could have been avoided. I always think about that when someone says “Accidental Discharge”. Nope, it’s a “Negligent Discharge”.

3 Likes