Rain Set Up

How do you carry in the rain?

If you were going to be standing in heavy rain for 30 minutes, what would you wear?

4 Likes

With a “gun condom”. :slightly_smiling_face:

11 Likes

I have my duck carry for me in the rain.

3 Likes

No difference. Usually my rain coat is big enough and doesn’t interrupt draw stroke.
It may however require better preparation for drawing… the process is about 2 seconds slower.

4 Likes

@Scoutbob >>
Get some your pecker checker.

2 Likes

We were told if you’re going to play in the rain, wear a raincoat…

3 Likes

Living and growing up in Western Washington where the Washington rain Festival is considered to run from January 1st to December 31st, we wear the same stuff all the time. We wear sandals with socks, shorts, and a raincoat.

4 Likes

2 Likes

Seriously though, having been in the military, if you are in a wet environment you should have your weapon, ammo and mags heavily oiled inside and out, and when you are out of the weather you would field strip your weapon, ammo and mags clean and oil everything again. and again, and again. :us:

6 Likes

It got warn down

Good old Military Rain poncho. They also were used as a buddy shelter half. = 1+1 > shelter.

Can also be used a small Lean to.

3 Likes

Let me clarify just a little bit here. Please do not oil your ammunition. When fired the brass case expands and grips the chamber of your firearm if it is oily it can not and has a similar effect on your firearm as a high pressure load.
If you find a good animation of how a blowback firearm works, it should show the brass expand and contract in the order of how it operates.

Secondly oil can seep into cartridges over time and it’s not good for the primer or gunpowder.

4 Likes

Wet ammo is much better than oiled ammo.
Modern handguns work wet without any issues. Just dry it out then clean and lube as usual, once you get back home. Ammo needs to be dried out only.

I thought I was the only one that had that problem :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :shushing_face:

2 Likes

Need the setup above and one of those big lights at the dentists office to help me out!

1 Like

A long lightweight raincoat stores easily even in the smallest car, and when that surprise rain comes, you’re prepared.

I gotta carry eye contact lenses more often, don’t like wet or foggy eyeglasses.

2 Likes

Bruce that sounds sooo familiar,try going on a Mission in North Vietnam in the Monsoon season,you are soaked even with a poncho,but we didn’t wear a poncho especially on a mission,they made too much noise,you just get used to being wet

3 Likes

Yup, I hear you Brother. We were in Panama S.A. for 5 weeks after the invasion for “training”
during the rainy season. OMG. Oil everything and keep your feet dry. :us:

2 Likes

Waterproof windbreaker.

2 Likes

A poncho is better for keeping a shoulder weapon dry. The last time I qualified on Okinawa was just a few hours before a typhoon hit. We fired in the rain. I can attest to the fact that the M-1 sprays water everywhere. All the flags were flying in different directions on the range. The Marine Corps was still using corrosive ammo from WWII. By the time I got back to the my quonset hut the bore was rusted. We had to strike the squad tents before we could leave the range and didn’t have time to clean our weapons until we got back to camp. I was able to clean the rust out and the bore had no damage from rust. Had to take the piece completely apart in order to dry it out. No poncho. 782 gear was left back in camp. It would have helped to have a poncho to wrap around the piece while striking the tents and riding in the open back of a six-by.

1 Like