Question: Slide sighting

Don’t know if this has been brought up before.

Have you ever used the side of the slide to aim at targets?
A made-up scenario where the site’s are damaged beyond use. Aim down the right & left side of the slide and be on target within a 4" center mass circle at 10 yards.

Update: Holding firearm with correct standard grip, vertically.

5 Likes

Only under 7 yards

1 Like

Nope, never heard of it, not even a thing on YT. If your practicing, you should be that close point shooting. I think you meant “sighting”. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I have not, but I will give it a try pretty soon. I will do so at a very short range though. I make fun of shooters on tv who do it. Lol

4 Likes

I think these two debunked the myth. :wink:

5 Likes

Yep, thanks. I’m great at mathematics but stink at spelling.

3 Likes

Buis, or sights for bois?
You be the judge (quoting Paul Harrell :wink:)

9 Likes

Thanks, you made me laugh. :rofl:

6 Likes

Yeah! I don’t do gangsta shooting. Not into eating hot ejected cartridges!

On a personal note, I despise it in movies!

6 Likes

I have an RDS and irons on my gun so both would have to fail, highly unlikely.

I would use the top of the slide in that case, not the sides

Actually, I’d probably use “put the dude in the window” of the blank RDS, before top of slide

9 Likes

LOL, me to. Using spell check has improved my spelling. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not at an angle but an instructor put black tape over my front and rear irons and we had to shoot steel at 15 yards. That was a good learning experience…

2 Likes

Interesting pose. Makes sense to train for different scenarios.

With an “empty” firearm, I’d like to try racking the slide – one handed, maybe using my hip belt or boot. Finger off that trigger whilst. In the fictional film, “Den of Thieves” (2018), towards the end - the actor with the injured hand makes it look so easy. My permit instructor did it in class.

My relative suggested to me I practice also one handed, and with my non dominant hand. Which I have but need to train more. Once when I was doing so, of course I was off the bullseye, when the stranger in the lane next to me was laughing at my poor aim.

Oddly enough, he ended up shooting the power cable pully which moves the target back and forth, where the cord even fell to the ground. He quickly gathered his belongings and left the range. As the debri posed a hazard, I informed the range officer.

It pays to be more mature, and focus on learning.

3 Likes

Seriously I was taught anything under 7 yards you don’t have to use your sights

1 Like

Robert1246, yes, some of our training consists of point and shoot specifying 7 yards.
I’ve written 10 yards which is a little more than 1/3 the distance. Also say the senerio consists of innocents be within the area and you have a clear straight shoot opportunity to take out the bad guy before anymore innocents are hurt. An aim, nomatter how you aim would be much more acceptable.
No matter how many senerios can be thought of and practiced, we have a good chance if we are in a bad situation it would be something different.
The more senerios I can come up with and practice, I’m hoping the training will guide me through.
The big word - TRAINING - correct safe training.

3 Likes

Interesting point.

Most of the time, when I shoot at the range, I practice point and shoot, not the very slow fire by aligning the sites; thus somewhere in between slow fire and rapid fire double tap speed, at a moderate speed which the RSO’s find acceptable for their safety rules. But, I’ll mix in one mag worth at super slow rate.

For me, it mimics a real life speed – God forbid.

1 Like

Yes @William377 and @Burdo if I point shoot more than 7 yards accuracy drops. I have shot with people who point shooting more than 7 yards but they’ve been shooting a lot longer than me. Point shooting is fast and accurate at close range but at longer ranges I would rather be accurate than fast.

2 Likes

To make it quantitative, are there any particular drills at say 5-7 yards you have run using sights and not using sights, and did you get faster and more accurate hits without using them? Distance, target size, rounds fired, time?

2 Likes

Not really. I haven’t really done much live fire since the ammo shortage. I am only going by memory. Point shooting was more or less just holding the gun up and looking at it but not focusing on the sights. It usually started at close distances and go farther and was done moving from one target to another. Most of my practice was done during competitive shooting IDPA or USPSA. I used to shoot with a great bunch of guys who would help each other out. It was competitive but I always thought of it as practice.

2 Likes

Any one here ever see the TV episode of Lt Joe Kenda Homicide Hunter, of the young man who was a competitive shooter who used his firearm in SD?

Must have been from a few years ago.

It was such an interesting episode, but I couldn’t find it again to share it; Which Season, Episode number or Episode title?