Qualify

I’m curious what to expect when I have my appointment with the sheriff, exactly how many hours professional training do they expect? Is there going to be a range test with the pistol I plan on carrying? I just want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row!

4 Likes

Every state is different, I would anticipate at least three hours of waterboarding, and make sure your ducks are arranged from largest to smallest…sometimes smallest to largest. Depends on the day and lunar cycle. You might get lucky and find they have an old Chevette out back to practice shooting at. Make sure you holler out “WhooHoo! Get some!” while you’re practicing, too. That helps.

Seriously, best starting point would be to check your state and local statutes, and state police or sheriff’s department website for specific requirements. :+1:

14 Likes

Riverside county was very low key.

They expect and mandate 8 hours of training in a class authorized by the sheriff’s dept. Typically about $200 in CA. Can probably do it either before or after your interview, but it must be done before permit is issued. I did mine before while waiting for interview date. Post copy of training cert to sheriff’s web site, song with all the other docs they want.

Person interview was casual and helpful. They were in helpful CCW mode, not criminal investigation mode.

As for the qualifying, don’t be nervous. It’s nothing you haven’t done many times at any range already, but with a few hours of instructional discussion ahead of time. You’re expected to hit a body sized target 6 times at each of 5, 7 and 10 yards. Not a timed test. Relax, and take reasonable time to make sure you hit your target. Don’t need to be bullseye shots, just somewhere on the target.

PS what the heck is that icky hand photo in your profile? Looks painful.

4 Likes

Right on thank you for your help that’s kinda what I thought. I did sign up a 8 hour pre ccw class in oct… Oh and That is what happens when you’re not paying attention while using a chop saw!!

3 Likes

You will…if you don’t shot them :crazy_face: Don’t worry you’ll do just fine.

2 Likes

You had me rolling on the floor with laughter :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

i was rolling lol lol!!! almost spilled my coffee

3 Likes

In Illinois, if you can hit the scoring rings on an FBI standard silhouette target, you will qualify. I can’t imagine many other states being much different. You’ll be fine.

2 Likes

Kentucky requires 11 out of 20 shots to hit the silhouette at 7 yards to qualify for a CCL. A blind man can, and many have, passed the qualification. However, we are now a Constitutional Carry state and there are no marksmanship or training requirements.

4 Likes