Protecting your home

Have been meaning to reply to this, thought about it tonight as I stowed my firearm for the night. When handling my firearm in a non-use environment, I have trained myself to place my trigger and middle finger on top of the slide or barrel. No one taught me this. Its just something I decided on. I know its unconventional, and maybe a bad training habit, but it makes me think “safe”. In the safe, out of the safe, this is what my grip looks like whenever a firearm is in my hand and there’s no shooting or potential for it. Note: the one time I withdrew my gun from the safe with a need for trigger discipline, my grip looked a bit more conventional.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with this bud, personally, I would like to see you discipline yourself to use a conventional grip, and keep your trigger finger stretched across the slide just above the trigger, as long as you think about what your doing every time, you should be fine. I’m not trying to tell you what to do by any means, but if you try it my way, every time you even touch your gun, this will be the muscle memory that you remember, even when you pull it from a holster, the muscle memory is with you. I have seen 2 people shoot themselves in the leg because they pulled from a holster with their finger on the trigger, and 1 putting it back into the holster, I’ve almost been shot twice as an RO because of this, I think that’s why I take it pretty serious. God bless.

3 Likes

Are we talking storing in a safe overnight, @AAlan? My main concern is in a self-defense situation, you’ll grab the gun wrong due to habit. The other concern is putting your finger on the trigger as you pull the gun out of the safe and have a negligent discharge.

3 Likes

I keep one in a hollow book on my nightstand the rest are locked up. But i have one weapon and 2 to 3 spare mags, just in case… But i keep the one im most comfortable with out… Then if i have to shoot either hand i know ill hit my target .

1 Like

@Steve-G, @Dawn… Been waiting to respond. Woke up to some noises last night, went for the safe, and everything came out exactly how it was supposed to: hand on grip, trigger finger in safe mode. I have been watching how I handle my firearm, and I’m not at all concerned with using different grips. Handling and storing can use a variety of grips. When it comes to business, there is only one.

Started to sweep the house. The cat was stretched out on the couch, yawning contentedly at me. After seeing that, I wasn’t concerned. Ended up being a neighbor messing with his trash cans.

3 Likes

Glad it came out the way you had planned, @AAlan.

So you’re a sweeper? To sweep or not to sweep?

3 Likes

Our apartment is so small I don’t need to Sweep… a Small Dustpan will do! :wink: :laughing:

3 Likes

Yeap, my CC stays with me throughout the day but other options are available depending on where I am in the house.

3 Likes

Yup Kevin is right - and consider if you are awakened from deep sleep, then suddenly under high stress, in the dark.

So Two thoughts on loaded gun in a safe, drawer, wherever.
Both of which I have used. Whichever you do you need to practice
it until you cannot get it wrong.

1 - HOLSTER - put my gun in a Holster in a safe, in a night stand, wherever.
In car compartment. Wherever.
Can grab it quick w/o finger on trigger.
Rake or pull holster off of gun quick on the draw.
Or tie holster down. Holster stays, gun comes out.
(Level 0 holster) - Little to no Retention.
Assuming gun is in Condition 1 - Round Chambered, ready to fire with trigger press.

2 - ACTIVE SAFETY:
Gun in safe with active safety “On” (Condition 2) - But you Need to practice deactivating safety while drawing from Safe.

Either way - Practice, many times, in the dark, your “draw” from Safe, drawer, wherever. Blindfolded - Until you cannot do it wrong.

3 Likes

@Dawn Hadn’t read that one yet. Interesting. My house is really small. From the tiny hall between the two bedrooms, I can see the rest of the house. I would know at that point what else is going on. My wife says “not Sweep. Swiffer.”

3 Likes

@AAlan, That’s near to what I said. LMAO!! I said “Small Dustpan”! Smart Minds think alike.

3 Likes

Grabbing a gun Not in a holster “can” be dangerous.

One solution - Put the gun in a holster. Holstered gun in the Safe. Tie the bottom of the holster down to something solid and heavy - like a safe(even a small one “may” be heavy enough) or mount/or anchor the safe down. Hand on gun - Finger on holster - Draw: Gun comes out of holster - Finger falls on frame like when you naturally draw from a holster. Anyway - you will not have access to the “trigger” - while gun is - “in the safe”.

3 Likes

I always keep mine chambered even when it is in the safe. My stepdad said I should never keep mine chambered because a negligent discharge can happen way too easily if somebody is startled and just waking from a sound sleep (to which I can agree to a certain point especially if the gun does not have a manual safety or is single action.) The gun I have is a Springfield XDE 9mm SA/DA with a decocker and external safety. I carry mine decocked with the safety off just because that is extra step on the draw I would have to remember. But I will never store it in my safe with the safety off.

Home, I live in California and getting a CCW isn’t easy unless you live in the right county.

1 Like

Even in the home/office my daily carry gun is on my hip or within reach.

My wife and I also have defensive weapons strategically placed throughout the house for rapid access in the event they are needed.

1 Like

Another great exercise for students,

“Identify the weapons of opportunity in the room or as encountered while walking, and how they might be used”.

2 Likes

We’ve talked about this, and this is a wake up call. These guys were in the house in seconds by breaking out the glass in the backyard. Both of these houses are in my neck of the woods.

This just happened, I lived a few houses from the nearview home it’s right across from a school.

She is a gun owner but didn’t have time to grab it.

1 Like

Hey @KenM your link on that isn’t working, can you repost? I want to go read it

I just edited and you should be able to see it. We know the reporter Gigi from a mutual friend. She covered the two homes attacked in Canyon Country. The home in Signal Hill is where the victims were shot after they fought off the attackers and followed outside.

1 Like

“'Keep your Self Defense tools on you at all times or at least within reach”.

In the typical home invasion you have less than 15 seconds to prepare to defend yourself. If your gun is locked up in another room you have almost no chance of getting to it in time.

With all of the instant access safes etc available today you can easily and safely stage multiple handguns around the house in very inconspicuous places with a little creative thinking.

We’re not paranoid but we have at least one “Hidagun” in every room and unless I’m sleeping I’m probably carrying anyhow.

Every family should take the time to put together a Home Defense Plan, practice it until you have it down pat and can execute it half asleep in the dark and then at least monthly after that.

Be prepared, have a plan, work the plan, self defense is not an accident.

2 Likes