pronouncing a country's name

​Philippines… just talked to a rep for CC and she pronounced it as feel LIP eens…???

or more like phiLIP eens… was very different sounding then I have heard in the past… and I could NOT understand her…

the pronunciation was quick and for me odd and hard to understand…

had to say it myself then she said yes…

interesting and figure this is probably true about how native speakers say their countries names…

5 Likes

Sort of like how New Or Leans ( New Orleans) becomes Nawlins in the South

4 Likes

Lake Pontchartrain
Pawn-chuh-train😀

3 Likes

Lake Okeechobee

Suwanee

Illinois

Des Moines

3 Likes

Puyallup - (pew al up)
Yakima -(Yaw key mah)
Pend Oreille - (PAWN-do-RAY)
Sequim - (skwim)
Touchet - (Too-SHEE)
Steilacoom (STILL-a-cum)

3 Likes

Arkansas [Ar-KAN- saw]

2 Likes

California
[pee-pulls-ree-pub-lick-of-nOrt-Core-ree-ah]

4 Likes

Nevada
[Ne-VAH-duh]

1 Like

How to pronounce everything Boston.

2 Likes

Spent a week there and struggled with that the whole time. Thanks for breaking it down big bird to Barney style.

4 Likes

Deutschland = Germany

4 Likes

Eucha (Oklahoma) = ‘OO-chee

3 Likes

Wiki /ˈfɪlɪpiːnz

Ithaca Eee-thaca or E-THA-ca - I had to be corrected by LGS sales clerk when referring to a shotgun.

Sometimes, we put emphasis on the wrong syLLAble.

4 Likes

Oregon wins for weird pronunciations, Couch street in Portland is pronounced Cooch Street (no kidding), Tualatin Too-ala-tin, Willamette - not will a met but Will Lamb Et. I was so confused after a month there there was the Daffodil Festival, I mispronounced it The Da foh dill Festival. By the way, it’s Oh re gin not Or eh gone. Any Oh reh ginnie anns on here feel free to correct me.

4 Likes

I thought it was Oh Rhee gun.

2 Likes

Man, I recently moved to south Louisiana and I can’t pronounce half the streets around, it seems. Shsbebdvdhxbxbdhend St. = Ben St. … how does that work?! Also, I thought it was a joke, but I’ve met 3 people so far that sound like farmer Fran :joy: I love it here so far though

4 Likes

“Cher” :rofl:

3 Likes

Yup😂 It’s taking me long than I’d like to admit to adjust.

3 Likes

Maybe this will help😀

3 Likes

Curaçao ([/ˈkjʊərəsoʊ, -saʊ, ˌkjʊərəˈsoʊ, -ˈsaʊ / (KYURE-əss-oh, -⁠ow, -⁠OH, -⁠OW)

4 Likes