Pro Gun and Anti-Gun Synagogues in South Florida

This has been an eyesore issue for me ever since moving to South Florida from VA earlier this year. I have been trying to find a synagogue in south Florida (this post is aimed at all the jewish members here) that isn’t anti-gun (and welcoming of gun owners) and it has been hard! The synagogue I currently go to (feel free to message me to learn more) is now searching people for weapons using a metal wand detector and a couple of other synagogues I have been to also have metal detectors which in essence, treats every congregant like a criminal!

I have been to a couple of synagogues in the S FL area where it is more of a don’t ask don’t tell kind of policy but feel hesitant to talk about guns with the other congregants because if they find out I am a gun owner, they could ask me to not come back.

In stark contrast, when I have been to a Texas synagogue, everyone is welcoming of gun owners, with few exceptions, and not one person bats an eye if I were to open carry. I think the whole gun issue in S FL synagogues has to do with a lot of New Yorkers moving to the area and bringing their anti-gun attitudes with them.

Need advice here.

5 Likes

Welp, that’s the only thing I came up up with. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
I was surprised by S. FL being that way 'til you mentioned the NY influence. They’re arriving in my CT neighborhood as well, though we’re a fortunately pretty redneck community, and I think that’s pretty obvious to any newcomers, having the flags, trucks, and yard signs that abound…but the state as a whole, and having NY as a neighbor, has me looking to move outside enemy lines.
Welcome to the forum; sorry I can’t offer real advice, except perhaps supporting one of the “don’t ask, don’t tell” places. I’m quite surprised a synogogue would be like yours is. Perhaps they suffer memory impairment.

6 Likes

@Elan
Welcome to the family brother and I am sorry to hear that this is happening to you. I can’t believe that they are using a metal detector at the synagogue you are attending. Blatant violation of the 2A.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community!

There’s a time and place for everything… In the Marine Corps, we had a saying “Don’t trust anyone” I’d wait for someone else bring up the topic. Look for clues for people who might be more pro 2-A. Any stickers on vehicles in the parking lot?

4 Likes

Just a thought but I would try Chabad. The only reason is because the one I have gone to in Reno is frequented by a gun store owner who was IDF and I heard the congregates go to the range together. Your LGS might have a suggestion.

1 Like

Well they do allow you to bring your gun if you have permission from the synagogue’s security director. And that is only after you “register” your gun with the synagogue which smacks of nazism. No thanks.

3 Likes

I have gone to a couple of chabad’s in S FL and some approve, some don’t. The one I go to when they have events are fine with it.

2 Likes

Maybe JPFO Jews for the preservation of firearms can help. https://jpfo.org/

2 Likes

Sharon at Maccabees?

2 Likes

Do they employ armed guards or do they believe a criminal intent on harming congregants will just walk away when discovered they are armed? What are their plans against the actual evil ones intent on harm? It is pure foolishness to turn away law-abiding citizens due their willingness to protect themselves. Do they also have a policy against pocket knives?

2 Likes

They do but the real problem with this metal detector crap is they don’t have lockers for you to store your guns and the other message the synagogue promotes is “jewish lives don’t matter once you are off our property”. Yes they have a policy against pocket knives because it is all about “no weapons” everything included.

2 Likes

Yes, that is definitely a problem will all “GFZs”.

1 Like