Primitive Hunting/Camping

I’ve seen the ALONE show on the History channel… Apparently mice under a dead fall trap become pretty tasty at some point after about 20 days without much food.

4 Likes

I miss taking my young children camping—they grow up so fast!
One autumn I realized they’ve never slept under the stars so Friday afternoon we went to the Tahoe National Forest and unrolled our sleeping bags around a campfire (to frighten away bears, panthers and snakes, I told them) and watched the stars come out and wheel about over our heads all night long.
Priceless! :grin:

7 Likes

I have eaten venison since I was old enough to chew, as much as I like to watch White tail I still see a pile of steaks sizzling in the pan. :wink:

5 Likes

True and already tenderized at that! :smiley:

I love that show…those participants are pretty awesome. Mouse tastes more like the smoke it was cooked over than the actual meat. And yep, the taste is acquired around day 14-20. Grasshoppers starting day 21, lol.

2 Likes

Part of the required gear when I was on the Sheriff’s SAR posse was to carry supplies for three nights on the trail in our saddle bags in addition to what the horse required, This meant that everything for a primitive camp had to be either repurposed saddle tack or found in the wild, and of course snacks. A small coffee pot filled with instant oatmeal packets and Lipton’s Cream of Chicken soup was considered pretty good vittles on the trail. A small salami and dry jack cheese and dried fruit didn’t need refrigeration so that was good, too.

3 Likes

Osage orange makes a darn fine bow. Wrap tightly with wet rawhide and let it dry and it’ll be as stout as you may desire. Makes a true”Indian” bow. I prefer the longer ones 72” or so, they are smooth shooters. My buddy used to be into primitive archery, did his own bows, arrows and hand napped flint tips. Pretty cool stuff.

4 Likes

Most of our camping trips involve work, and camped out in clients parking lots. Over this last weekend, we made it a long weekend, completed a camping trip, in the mountains. Awesome country only 3 hours from home. Cool temps, and cool at night. We are not primitive campers; dutch oven ribs and cobbler. Cold beverages. A Montana state park is not far away to dig for crystals. Old mining towns, ruins nearby. Moose, deer, and elk. We didn’t spot any bears. Always carry a firearm as plenty of wolves; as we found some fresh scat. Lots of trails and no cell, just peace and quiet.

Years ago when first married, and taught to hunt by my father in law, we made some primitive hunting trips. Tom was his name and always had to have his coffee in the morning. One particular hunt for sheep, left the trailhead on horse back maybe 1, 2, or 3 ish am. Wind blowing, cold than heck. Way before sunlight, Tom made a pot of coffee, had a small fire on a steep, rocky, hillside, wind blowing. To this day, I really dont know how he accomplished that task. Around 8 ish he got his ram. All day, most of the night, in the cold wind, horseback, cold saddle, to pack out the ram.

5 Likes

+1 …just about every critter in the woods moves this way. Move, pause, scan…move, pause, scan. :+1:

3 Likes

Got my wife eating things she never would have considered before she met me; chicken fried venison with cream gravy, frog legs, soft shell crabs,…

2 Likes

I can eat what I have to to survive, but I’m going to wait til that time gets here on a few items, just worry about my wife… gotta keep some good seasoning or sprinkles handy :grinning:

3 Likes