Press Checks: Do you or don't you?

@AlexV My two sentences are mutually exclusive.

First, I was questioning if the functionality of the LCI on all Glocks was identical with both types of ammo. I am not an expert and wanted to know. As I wrote, it was an assumption.

Secondly, describing a gun with a round chambered infers the gun being loaded.

Of course never point a gun at anyone. Not sure why your replied required an explanation mark. I take exception to your inference that my post was “dangerous”.

4 Likes

Sorry. No offense intended.

3 Likes

@AlexV We are good. I was up late and tired. Sorry for being so direct. I look forward to posting together in the future with you. Enjoy your day sir. :+1:

As a learning experience for me… does anyone here know the history of Glock regarding Centerfire versus Rimfire ammo?

2 Likes

We have to be careful about this, friends. [I always say this and it’s in contradiction to what we have been taught but TEXT DOES NOT HAVE TONE <----- Example, I was not yelling but rather highlighting for you to see that particular text—just text above all my other words such as these.

I just love this community @TexasEskimo & @AlexV and I’m certain sometimes we take things the wrong way [MYSELF INCLUDED] and perhaps sometimes going privately to them [In peace] and ask, “Hey, that was offensive, what about the punction, ext. ext.”

2 Likes

This is how I do it as well. My gun also has a peep hole to look inside and see if need be.

3 Likes

Please, Please forget the peep hole!
When clear, and know your apart of our Choir friend, but always pull magazine out, pull slide releasing ammo[I’ve had times where two[not in glock but still] two ended up in chamber and as you know lock slide and stick finger

YES stick finger in there! [USCCA taught me this and did save my life]

4 Likes

I completely understand and that is good advice, but I do all that when I unload my gun or before I load my gun, as a precaution. I was referring to when I load, I don’t press check. I put a mag in, chamber, holster and then top off the mag with a round or I have a mag empty of all but one round, put the plus one in, remove the mag and then put the full one in and holster. I have tried putting the full mag in while it is holstered and I have some issues there.

also, my SD9VE won’t close if it is trying to double feed. I have had that happen with snap caps. Pain in the butt to remove the stuck “round”.

5 Likes

I agree, Dawn. Reading all these posts, I keep wondering why it is so hard to remember if your gun is loaded in chamber or not. This is of course when you are defensive carrying each day. Once you load your gun with one in chamber, then top off mag, it stays that way until you change it. Ok, you know you loaded it, why question it as long as you have control of it. Unloading the gun for whatever reason is another situation. Yes, anytime you unload you gun, you are going to remove the mag, rack the slide to remove the bullet, then lock open the slide and stick your finger in the barrel to verify no bullet. While the gun is unloaded, i will press check anytime i am going to pull the trigger, just to make sure, and it is treated as if it may be loaded always. But while in loaded defensive mode, it is treated as loaded, always, I do not need to press check, because it does not change. I know because I loaded it.

4 Likes

I would caution against even using a press check then as it creates bad habit ruts. Why not take the opportunity to do a malfunction clearing drill? Tap, rack, and roll - looking when you rack? At least then you’ve got a positive repetition then. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I was reading some posts here. I just wanted to make the distinction. I use my M&P peep holes. I NEVER used a peephole to verify if the gun is empty (I know many people have mentioned this here).

I DO use to peephole to verify if I have a round chambered. Whenever I chamber my +1 round I verify the round was chambered by looking in the peep hole. I like the peep hole more than a chamber indicator. I don’t trust chamber indicators. I like seeing the actual chambered round.

3 Likes

Before reholstering my already loaded pistol in the morning. Even though it had a round chambered when I went to sleep, since I’m going to leave home with it I must double check, even though I know dang well theres a round chambered.

2 Likes

I will verify status when pulling a firearm from the safe, but at that time there is no mag in it, and I fully-open the chamber, so that isn’t a “press-check”, but I will always verify the status of a firearm before I do anything else with it. If I expect an unloaded firearm, and there is a mag in it, I will remove the mag, then open the chamber.

So, I partly agree with not press-checking, because typically if the firearm should be unloaded, one would just lock open the chamber to verify status. The only time I do a press-check is after loading my firearm to ensure a round got chambered. I have not had an issue with any of my carry guns, but I have had the .22 that I use at the range not chamber a round after the slide is released. At the range I don’t bother with the press-check, it either fires or it doesn’t at which point one does the standard drill. But with my carry guns when I put a mag in, I always verify that a round got chambered before I holster.

3 Likes

Not a fan of press checks. A pistol is loaded or it isn’t. If the slide is open, chamber empty and the magazine is out, or the cylinder open and the chambers are empty, it’s unloaded.
If not, it’s loaded.
At least that’s how I was taught way back before that last dinosaur slipped into the LaBrea tar pits.

1 Like

Any time I pick up a weapon, I press check, then check the magazine if the chamber is empty.

Everytime I pick up my gun.

I always know the status of my firearms its loaded there is no need for it to be unloaded there for it stays loaded in its holster until its time to fire it i dont understand why you would be loading and unloading your carry gun to not know if your weapon is loaded and then most all firearms have a loaded chamber indicator or peak hole

1 Like

I keep mine loaded as well, but I don’t have children in my home.

2 Likes

I do have children in the home so mine stays on me from time I wake up and go to work until i go to bed and then gun and holster go in safe next to bed my gun dose not leave its holster even when in the safe

3 Likes

Mine stay loaded and holstered 24/7, unless theres a range trip. I have a Colt Gold Cup Trophy in original case with an empty mag, but it doesnt get shot often. 1 Kimber 1911 in nightstand most of time.
I’ve no children here, nobody gonna get into my stuff, no problems. The “storage area” is a bedroom set aside for that purpose, I have the key to the door lock, wife knows where the spare is.

Press check? No. No need.

2 Likes

No children in my house, only the wife and I. My carry is always loaded, unless unloaded for cleaning or training. Regardless, until unloaded and verified clear, it is always treated as loaded.

2 Likes