Practical proportionality : what tools to also carry when conceal carry

Apologize up front if this subject has already been addressed , am new in the neighborhood still learning the ropes here. Being a first time owner have lot to learn and have been using the resources here as get ready to take CCW class in few weeks. My question is about proportionality. If all I carry is concealed firearm it’s a short path from non lethal confrontation to lethal solution. Are there other effective tools to carry in addition to fire arm that would be non lethal and first options before have to use firearm. Let’s assume the option to retreat is not an option. Tools like pepper spray . Are there other tools besides pepper spray and are there any videos or training on self defense using non lethal tools ?

5 Likes

Pepper spray, Taser, Expandable baton, slapper, just look into your state laws and make sure.

5 Likes

Thanks…was searching the expandable baton you suggested and discovered there are defense umbrellas too ! A rather everyday item that wouldn’t even raise a TSA eyebrow at airport security

3 Likes

I know a lot of folks are going to recommend all sorts of hardware, for instance, because things have changed so dramatically, I’d go with the M249 squad automatic weapon! Under the right circumstances it can be concealed :smiley:
However,I’m going to recommend the software, your brain, eyes, ears and the gift of de-escalation. “Two rules are immediately evident: Know what is behind you, and pay particular attention to anything out of place…-Jeff Cooper
You will always need to meet force with equal force: the old axiom, never bring pepper spray to a knife fight still holds true. You can carry all the tools you want in your pockets, finding the right one at the right time will require a high degree of knowledge of any given situation. Hence the software. This community will find my answer strange because I’m always advocating for the claymores and mortars.
Best example is in today’s looting society and CHOP, CHAZ BS zones, I feel like I need to strap a fire extinguisher to my hip.
What I physically carry on my body on a daily basis is my sidearm, extra magazine, knife, flashlight w/strike bezel, pepper spray, first aid kit, USCCA incident card and fake wallet w/$5 bill. I’ll admit I do carry a fire extinguisher in the car.

5 Likes

Add a good flash light to your EDC. You have tons to choose from and with the right one, it can serve dual purposes. One with the right amount of lumens will blind a would be violent subject in the day, jus like it would at night. And like it was suggested, it may by you a few seconds to escape a violent encounter, ultimately not requiring you to have to pull your firearm.

4 Likes

:+1: for @Scott52.
No tool will help you if you are not prepared mentally.
First see, then react.
If non lethal tool needed, OC spray/gun is the easiest weapon. Then run.

any videos or training on self defense using non lethal tools

YouTube search : “how to defend yourself”

3 Likes

Thanks every one. I agree on being mentally prepared. Have been guilty of blissful situational awareness ignorance. Making the decision to own a firearm and learning to be a responsible owner has been quite a paradigm shift. Have been scouring the resources here (videos, blogs articles etc) but hands on experience is the only way for all this to make sense and internalize and like breathing I want the mental preparedness to be there. What might some resources and in personal training would you recommend to accelerate that ?

1 Like

The greatest tool to have is situational awareness. If you are not there, you need no other defense. I believe in my travels situational awareness has kept me safe at least several times. As others stated, carry at least one non-lethal tool. A small tactical flashlight is good, since carrying it, I have discovered how useful it can be just as a light. A pocket knife, where legal, is also handy. My wife, one time, asked me for my knife to open a snack that she was having difficulty with. I told her don’t have it, she gave me a look like what? I then reminded her that we were on an airplane.

3 Likes

Look for Defensive Shooting Instructors. YouTube is a great source.
My favorite is Personal Defense Network. I would say 75% of my knowledge came from this channel.

2 Likes

Aa far as actual objects, your EDC should consist of whatever you’re legally allowed to have on you in the following list:

Handgun, spare magazines (1 is better than none, 2-3 are preferable even if only one is on you and the others are staged in a pack/vehicle/etc)
Pocket knife (folding or fixed, whatever your preference is plus whatever is legal for your area)
Flashlight and spare batteries
Pepper Spray
IFAK (Individual First Aid Kit, typically a tourniquet, chest seals, israeli bandage and whatever emergency medication you may require such as an Epipen, Insulin, Inhaler, Glucose Tablets, ibuprofen or other pain reliever and benadryl) again the list is example items based on common ailments.

A small survival kit is typically a good idea to keep in your vehicle, just make sure it’s tailored to your area and knowledge level.

Remember, knowledge and awareness are just as important, if not more so, than gear. Gear helps, but knowledge and experience is what helps keep you from panicking.

1 Like