Possible squib loads...sig recall lot JDAR0815

Just got this email. 9mm 115 “elite ball”. Perhaps it should be renamed :laughing:…ahhh, marketing :see_no_evil:
https://s2133745391.t.en25.com/e/es?s=2133745391&e=941183&elqTrackId=efd74c1a1b7a40299e524d6e5aa03bea&elq=a28b82763f6144f8bb85264428e55d3b&elqaid=917&elqat=1

3 Likes

Glad I roll my own!

4 Likes

I had some old defense rounds get funky last week. First round, got a face full of brass and powder. Dropped mag, checked and wiped barrel, next round not strong enough to eject the case. Shot out the mag, perhaps 5 years after I should have :clown_face:, and replaced those rounds with my strongerheaviershinier defense rounds. I need to learn to cycle the defense rounds out of my non carry guns more than never, I suppose.

2 Likes

@mattm
Thanks for that post. I do not use this particular ammo but others do and this is good to know.

5 Likes

Same here. Two different kinds but they were funky from poor storage conditions. They spent a few years in an ammo can in the car. Later I found them and there was a lot of condensation in there. Long story short I let them “dry out” inside for a few weeks. My plan was to load them and attempt to fire them. Then pull down and save the brass and bullets. The primers would have been struck, so the danger of decapping live primers would be less.

The nickel plated golden saber all fired! They even had rings stained around the case from the plastic insert they came in.
About half of the brass case fmj rounds fired. And later I discovered that about half of the ones that fired split the brass case.

3 Likes

And another observation. Some people came out shooting and left a partial box of ammunition along with some other trash. They had been rained on of course by the time I found them. I tried two or three and they were all duds. Pulled the bullets and dumped the powder. Months later I decided to use the brass. For safety reasons I chambered each one and pulled the trigger. To my surprise all of the primers “fired” but with drastically different noise levels.

3 Likes

I loaded the bad mag unintentionally. I choose between 3 carry pistols, but all 11 have a mag or two loaded with defense rounds…‘cuz, ya’ never know. It was a mag in my m9 with the bad rounds, and I was running some multi mag drills and had not meant to grab that one…but I’m glad I did. 15k rounds through that gun, first time failure…better while doing drills than a real situation.

2 Likes

Checked my sig ammo and non with the recall lot number, Whew! :grimacing:

3 Likes

Ya, I get Sig’s email newsletter. I was pretty surprised because the manufacturing of ammo at Sig is pretty impressive.

2 Likes

With the big boy mass production ammo manufacturers putting out *so much ammo, something is going to be amiss somewhere at some point. Seems to usually be with Winchester but could be anyone. All major mass producers have a much lower incident rate than handloading tends to also, which is why a lot of classes and instructors state in their rules or guidelines to not bring reloads to class (too much of a chance you end up being ‘that person’ who holds up the class messing around with gear trying to figure out why it doesn’t work and it’s ammo problems)

1 Like

Says a lot about their quality control.

Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

I worked night shift for a while. The night shift consistently got more product out than day shift. Think about how that could be accomplished…

1 Like

Mic drop lol…yeah, I worked nights most of my life as an inspector/programmer, and whenever I “got into it” with management or day shift cohorts, I’d bring up production and quality levels, then imply that they shut the heck up.
Perhaps not what you’re implying, as a “low skilll set” shop I worked at in my youth had a major issue every morning, right after everyone got stoned at the 4 a.m. break lol. That was craziness, 10 ton roll of valve spring wire would finish up, run off the spool and try to curl itself up along the 100 yard long length of the building.
Hi tech/skilled shops (aerospace/defense) we mainly had the anti b.s. folks like me; not needing management or meetings, just wanting to be left alone to do our job.

1 Like

Back when I was on FB, had a glockaholic buddy and another friend who bought his first, for a class where he’d be shooting around 750 rounds over a couple days. I have 2 glocks, they work, my glockaholic bud has every model made, for a reason. The bud taking the class posts a vid of him reloading his 9mm for the class (cuz’ FB :laughing:) and after the class asks us how reliable our guns are, as he had iirc, 10% ftf’s…we responded it most likely wasn’t the gun. Expensive lesson.

I can think about several ways that could be accomplished. Based on my experience, one way night shift gets more stuff done is less interference from upper level/admin. Just the workers doing work getting stuff done. Generally at night fewer meetings, fewer drop ins, less scheduled maintenance, just all the ‘other stuff’ is less. Less overhead. Less baggage. Same for weekends. Just get 'er done

But that is probably something that varies considerably by company, location, industry, etc.

1 Like