Polls: No Lasting Support for Gun Control One Year After Parkland

Thursday February 14 marked the one year anniversary of the terrible crimes at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL.

It was a somber occasion, but some media outlets couldn’t contain their glee this week that last year’s horror might finally advance the anti-gun agenda. A CNN headlined heralded “A new era on guns.” “After Parkland, everything is different,” Salon gushed.

But a new nationwide poll by NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist tells a different story. The News Hour headline summarized the essential point, “A year after Parkland, support sinks for stricter laws on gun sales … .”

Specifically, the percentage of adults favoring stricter laws covering the sale of guns has dropped 20 points since the immediate aftermath of the Parkland killings, to 51%. In contrast, 46% of those surveyed believe such laws should be less strict or kept as they are. The difference between these responses is essentially a statistical tie, given the poll’s margin of error.

As the Washington Post noted with reference to Gallup and Civiq’s dalily tracking polls, “public support for stricter gun laws has returned to pre-Parkland levels.”

More: https://www.buckeyefirearms.org/polls-no-lasting-support-gun-control-one-year-after-parkland

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing that, @txradioguy. I especially love the line in the article:

Yet even those proponents could not claim that either bill would have prevented the incident at Parkland.

3 Likes

Sorry but the Anti-gun people/groups need to understand that their GUN LAWS just don’t do what they want them to do. And as the article said the gun laws that that they want have proven not to work. If you look at the last few shootings it was reported that the shooters DID PASS A BACKGROUND CHECK TO GET THEIR GUNS. And as far as the bill that would require people to get a background check if the want to loan a firearm to a friend or family member for hunting or to go the the range is just stupid. And if this bill does some how become law then you would have to go to a FFl and fill out paper work. And this bill ALSO WOULD REQUIRE THAT IF YOU AND A FRIEND ARE AT THE RANGE AND WANT TO TRY EACH OTHERS FIREARMS YOU’D FIRST HAVE TO GO TO A FFL AND DO PAPER WORK BEFORE YOU COULD TRY EACH OTHERS FIREARMS. AND WHAT REALLY HAPPEN IS THAT BY FILLING OUT THE PAPER WORK IT IS REALLY TRANSFERRING THE FIREARMS TO EACH OTHER. AND YOU WOULD NOT LEGALLY OWN YOUR FIREARM ANY MORE. IT WOULD NOW BE YOUR FIENDS FIREARM. AND THAT IS BY LAW. And that is why these laws should never be passed.

1 Like

At least it seems we still have a good chance at maintaining our rights in this country. New Zealand just officially lost a big chunk of theirs earlier today. Their Parliament voted 119-1 in favor of banning commonly-owned semi-automatic rifles, such as the AR-15. I’m sure that mandatory confiscation is soon to follow down there.

2 Likes

@Nathan that sucks for NZ :frowning:
Whenever something bad happens, they waste no time in writing new laws to punish the uninvolved.

3 Likes

@Zee It sure does. I’ll never understand why so many politicians around the world feel that it is acceptable to criminalize 99% for the actions of 1% when it comes to gun owners. At least here we have a Second Amendment, as well as strong and determined groups like the NRA and USCCA to help defend those rights.

3 Likes

@Nathan I think the refrain goes “…if it saves the life of just one person…”
Nevermind the counter chorus of "Really? Even if it costs the lives of many others? Really? "
yep. that theoretical “one person” saved outweighs all others.
it’s stinkin’ thinkin’ but it does tug the heartstrings, ya know. :angry:

2 Likes

@Zee Exactly. Politics 101 is all about manipulating the emotions of the voters in order to get a favorable result at the next election. Facts often become rather inconvenient for those types. Whenever I use the FBI figures to show my anti-gun acquaintances that their reasoning is flawed, I am often met by either silence or mutters of “goddamn NRA members”. Sorry, but guns are not the problem. It’s people, and our 24/7/365 dependence on social media that are the real problems.

1 Like

You never let a serious crisis go to waste. And what I mean by that it’s an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before - Rahm Emanuel

That’s exactly what the anti 2nd Amendment types do whenever there is a mass shooting in this country.

4 Likes