Poll: Should our military finally be allowed to concealed carry on bases?

I like the idea of being able to conceal carry so that way if I stop somewhere after work on my way home I’m still able to conceal carry

10 Likes

I think I’m entirely good with that plan.

14 Likes

They’re not in uniform 24/7/365. Even when they are deployed. The only time they are in uniform, is when they are on the clock, performing their duties. Aside from that there is no regulation in regards to dress and appearance that states you must be in uniform off duty. Secondly the only difference between drawing concealed vs open is moving a cover garment out of the way, if you are carrying OWB w/ a cover garment, ankle carry or IWB.

8 Likes

Dress and appearance regulations forbid anything hanging off of your belt, unless that item is used to conduct your job details/duties.

3 Likes

Dress and appearance regs with in the military genrerally do not allow anyone to wear anything hanging off the uniform unless it is used to conduct their official duties while on the job.

3 Likes

Looks like we have consensus, open carry in uniform, conceal carry when in civies……both allowed.

8 Likes

How to say this nicely, we trust them with anything from an M-4 to an F-35 Stealth Fighter. We have sent them over the past 18 years on tour after tour overseas, yet they can’t be trusted with a semi-automatic pistol, while on base, in the country they are are defending. Doesn’t quite make sense to me. I know I went through basic marksmanship training when I was in boot camp.

Thank God I lived off base while I served.

10 Likes

Our military should never been denied that right to start with. They protect all of our rights around the world, they are safer on the battlefield than they are at home.

11 Likes

Yep very much agree

6 Likes

Absolutely, they should be allowed to protect themselves. At my last duty station we could carry onto the base, but double lock the firearm in the vehicle when we exit the vehicle. This was at the Wing Commander’s discretion. No accidents occurred as a result. I’m now a retired Lt Colonel, a former police officer, and cannot understand why I can carry anywhere EXCEPT on a base. I qualified with both pistol and rifle, and was 2 points from a perfect score.

9 Likes

Absolutely. These are trained military personnel.

7 Likes

The Military are trained to handle weapon’s and should be allowed to OPEN carry on a military base. Conceal carry I am not sure of. I have never understood why they were not allowed to OPEN carry on base.

6 Likes

I believe that they should be eligible just like a civilian to have a concealed weapons permit and I believe if they have a concealed weapons permit they should be allowed to carry on a base

6 Likes

Constitutionally, I think every natural born American should be able to carry open or concealed on base or off base, uniform or no uniform. Whenever and wherever an American should always be armed.
Furthermore any foreign base should establish the same rules. Any American base abroad is US territory just as an American embassy is US territory.

12 Likes

I was in the Army Military Police. Had to sign out sidearm at the beginning of shift and sign it back into the armory at end of shift. We had the old 1911 back then and could not have a round in the chamber. Then, I could go to my apartment off post and carry personal weapon with permit off base. None of it made much sense. The terrorism threat today even in the US requires more common sense changes.

12 Likes

Agreed Brother. Always struck me as odd that the Post’s LEOs were required to disarm after shift. The level of training we had exceeds most local and state Police agencies. Having entire MP companies carrying 24 hours would be a significant deterrent unto itself.

9 Likes

Personally, I would prefer a change to allow carry if approved by CO’s. Then, make any changes relative to a year or two of info, feedback, and reports under the new guidelines.

4 Likes

As someone who is retired from the military I know that is very important that every citizen including the military should have the right to conceal to protect himself against all enemies foreign and domestic. Just because we wear are the uniform does not mean we can’t protect ourselves a brothers sisters and everyone we love.

9 Likes

Not concealed carry, but open carry. They are military, on a base, no need to conceal.

5 Likes

So many new voices! Welcome to all y’all! :smiley:

And from a military family, THANK YOU to all of you who have served or are serving now. You are deeply appreciated.

10 Likes