Poll: Should our military finally be allowed to concealed carry on bases?

Thanks for your post. I am sure he is a good guy. Most of the people I met while in the U.S. Army are good and law abiding. I was stationed at Fort Campbell, KY back in the 80’s. Home of the 101st Airborne Division Air Assault. A screaming eagle as they say.

Thank your son-in-law for his service for me if you get a chance and thank you for your patriotism. God Bless you all.

2 Likes

I had wondered if it was pushed through with little regard to what it contains, like the time when Pelosi said about the vote on ObamaCare, “We have to pass this bill so we can find out what’s in it.” Geesh; how terribly disgusting. Such a tragedy that day when no one had the backbone to stand-up against such bullying. (Sorry, I digressed.) Forever and a day I’ve thought our armed men and women, who are trusted to fight for us in war, should be able to carry on base. It’s just maddening the level of stupidity that follows the insane logic of a gun-free zone; be it a school or a base. Unbelievable. And numbers prove it doesn’t work, but here we are… since 1950, every mass shooting, except one, has taken place in a gfz. I’m racking my brain trying to figure out why the laws are not changed to help protect innocent life. Seems they’re hell-bent on destroying life.

2 Likes

I agree 100%

2 Likes

I’m jumping into the conversation. I’m retired AF and want to go on a base to use the commissary, BX, or the pharmacy. The bad thing is if you can’t have a gun on base you have to leave it at home and travel to the base unarmed, and return home. I recently seen Wright Patterson AFB is going to allow you to keep it locked in your vehicle while you are on base. At least you can go and come to the base armed. At least this is the first step to allow carrying weapons on base/post.

3 Likes

I say no. As a Retired SSG US Army I have concerns about the maturity level and some of these individuals that displayed the “ Self Entitlement” syndrome.
With that Army Regulation AR 190-11 clearly explains the federal policy on it and as to why.
Right now with what is going on across the nation has made it to where my own Mom can’t visit the instillation like she used to do. It’s been restricted to Active / Retirees / DOD Civilian employees / Contractors / Dignitaries.
I remember it used to be that way anyhow. If you didn’t have your name on the MP Roster you didn’t get in.
After a long spell the military “lightened up” so to speak to have better relations with the towns they share ground with.
With the current unrest it’s a security issue from haties to put it mildly.
In theater overseas is different. But…, I have seen Soldiers argue about issues that are going on at home that caused great divides as I’m sure every Soldier has experienced on a combat deployment.
Regulations also dictates that Soldiers living in the barracks sign their firearms / ammo into an Arms Room.
Think about being the NCO on Charge of Quarters or Staff Duty and the Troops start drinking, then arguing, then getting physical.
The military knows from experiences that sometimes firearms are brought in from off post and situations occur.
I say no carry for anyone but law enforcement on post. I’ve witnessed gun fights at my home duty station. Those involved threw the best years of their lives away.
You don’t want trained drunk Military members becoming hostile with one another. We need them healthy for that next mission when it’s called.
I do NOT condone gun control. With the training we go through and the deployments that keep racking up… it’s a bad combination waiting to happen.
Stay safe. These are just my opinions based on my personal eye-witnessed accounts and knowledge of the regulation basics.
If I was still in ( Retired 2014), I’d tell my Soldiers that what is going on outside these gates are issues that cannot and will not affect or infect the trust and dependability we have in each other here. There’s only one color and that’s green, there’s only one gender and that’s Soldier! Leave it at the gates when coming on!

1 Like

I actually agree with you. I was a former Marine and from what I saw, many, not all, of the newer, younger Marines (E1 - 3 at least) were not responsible enough to not do something stupid with a firearm if they weren’t under direct supervision. Yeah, we all qualified with rifles and fammed on pistols, but that was on the range under heavy supervision. They may be 18 - 21 and legal to carry in certain states but that doesn’t mean they are mature enough yet. Just my opinion.

3 Likes

First of all, I am a veteran (USAF) who witnessed two incidents in San Antonio many years ago that if we were able to carry on base, the incidents would have had a much di9fferent outcome. With the chaos of the current social climate, our service members aren’t able to protect themselves where they are stationed/live.

2 Likes

Absolutely. As military members, we are required to qualify with handguns (some personnel, not all) and M4’s anyways, so it wouldnt be difficult to incorporate a personal handgun qualification portion to our annual military weapon qualifications. This ensures those who elect to carry on base are maintaining certification.

2 Likes

Yes, but only those E-5 and above

2 Likes

I was in the military. Had a guy, thought he was being cute. Walked into the NCO club with a 6 shooter strapped to his leg. Handed it to the bartender to “hang on to” for awhile.
Well, he got drunk, bartender gave him back his gun, stepped outside and began unloaded it into anything he wanted to see if it was bullet proof! Luckily, it was a six shooter and nobody was hurt. He got a Court Martial, a few months in prison, and a Dishonorable Discharge. 17 years of service down the drain. All for being stupid.

This happened on a post that was less than a mile in diameter. Our MP company had less than 200 troops. If you’ve got more people with guns and outnumber the Police Force, you are asking for trouble.

Ft Hood and the Washington Navy Yard were isolated incidents. More Troops are killed by drunk driving, drug use, or PTSD related Suicide, 22 per day, than by gunfire.

3 Likes

100% this!!

3 Likes

Yes to open carry, they are trained for combat, most carry a side arm in combat and when on guard duty, so it should be up to the individual soldier how they wish to carry, open or concealed if they possess a CCW from their home state

2 Likes

Wanted to give a big welcome to the newest family members @Amado @Michelle16 @Kasey2

2 Likes

Yes I think they should be allowed to carry a gun on base ,andy smith

2 Likes

We are living in a New World - Good vs Evil, the End Times if you will…therefore we must also protect ourselves accordingly…especially our brave Women and Men…

3 Likes

Please protect your family and learn how to develop better communication with everyone here at USCCA AND WITH EVERY ONE YOU MEET, better planning for keeping your loved ones safe,

You are important to us all !

Please ask the Staff and other Members about how things work here and find some great educational programs too.

1 Like

I have mixed emotions on this topic because I see (and have seen in service) both sides of the argument.
Not being allowed to carry on base does not prevent me from carrying on town and there is the option to live on town and check it at the gate.
The rules dont prevent me from buying a firearm on town and simply not disclosing it if I am a bad apple.
Rules of engagement are radically different between military patrol and civilian carry. How do you ensure the ‘switch gets flipped’ going either way…
My recall from my time in service was that personal weapons were allowed in the armory and could be checked out most any time you were not on duty. They were not allowed in the baracks though. How does not allowing concealed carry prevent anything.

1 Like

@Ronald122 @Andy14 welcome to the family! You’re in the right place!

1 Like

I’m ret’d military (Go Navy!), and about once per month/every other month I make roughly a 50 mile drive (one way) to the nearby Army base to shop at the commissary. Having my CCDW still doesn’t allow me to take my firearm on the base, so I leave it at home, securely locked up of course. It would be nice if one was permitted to place a firearm in a secure, lock box, cabled & locked in the vehicle, prior to entering the base. Once I depart the base I could pull over in a parking lot somewhere and retrieve it from the lock box, thereby having it on me for the trip home.

1 Like