Point shooting?

IMHO you can do often without sights at close range(point shooting) ifneeded, but will likely miss if you don’t have a very good trigger squeeze.

1 Like

Interesting John. Was at the range recently, trying several “arms”, and I was overly attuned to the one which had the smoothest trigger pull; I thought “that’s a keeper”.

Agree with @John292. It is important to get the fundamentals down and to subconsciously know how everything feels when the sights are properly aligned and how to keep them aligned while pulling the trigger if you want to be as accurate as possible with unsighted or partially sighted fire.

This is the key to point shooting. Having the fundamentals down first then start working on point shooting. I have been shooting since 1984 and it was not till four years later I was trained in point shooting. We started with laser guns for 2 hours a day for a week before we went to the range and started at 6 feet. The next week we worked our way to 20 feet. We never went beyond 20 feet either. Even to this day I practice now with my SIRT laser gun at home several times a week then if I am at the range I will then shoot some rounds to see how I am maintaining my skills. Get training then Practice, Practice, Practice !

2 Likes

Actually, I was trained with this in 1984 in Riverside CA from a Sargant and a Lieutenant from the Los Angeles Sheriffs department as a Sheriffs Reserve.

I would add that point shooting should only be done 21 feet or less from your target, beyond 21 feet sighted shooting. Just my humble opinion.

3 Likes

A very old gent I used to know, served in a another country’s army, learned a different point shooting technique pointing with the index finger and using the second on the trigger.
He was accurate.
I couldn’t hit a barn using that technique.

I whole heartedly agree that learning fundamentals first are most important

3 Likes

I was just reading the Conceal Carry Magazine for May and June and low and behold, check out pages 28 and 29, UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL, Dry -Fire Shooting from Retention. It has some really good information. Read it!

1 Like

Was that country Israel

One question of distance has come up. Yes, I train up to twenty feet but in reality, I would most likely not use it at twenty feet but more rather up close and personal, bad breath close, four to eight feet close. Practicing up to twenty feet just gives me more confidence on my aimed shooting as well as my ability to hit at any distance closer.

1 Like

Have any of you WATCHED staged or actual-situation self-defense videos? You’re not going to have the TIME to settle yourself, take a stance, turn on your silly electronics, etc. - you’re going to have to draw - point - shoot - in a split-second, and from whatever position you’re in. “Point”-, “snap” - or even “jam”-shooting should be part of any SD training program. Anything else exists in a “Pollyanna” world.

1 Like

Anyone interested in developing their sight shooting skills might want to check out the “dot on the wall” drill. There are also some good books on the subject.

1 Like

Do you have description or link to video so we can see what this drill is about?

I know “Wall drill” and “Dot drill”… but never heard about “dot on the wall drill” :thinking:

Two sides of the same coin.

I’m sorry @Larry130 … I still don’t get it.
Please forgive my lack of understanding…
So what this drill looks like?
Wall drill is completely different from Dot drill… so I have no idea how to merge them… if this is the case.

If your “Dot drill” reference is to the “Dot torture” drill then I see the confusion. Different things.

“Wall drill” and “dot drill” I think refer to the same thing - developing the ability to bring your firearm to a pinpoint position without reliance on sights or an optic. This is akin to point shooting, but a little more simplified.

I’m not sure if even “Wall drill” is the drill you are mentioning here.
I know “Wall drill” :point_down: which has nothing to do with point shooting… so I’m still confused.

https://youtu.be/r7YdjrvB718

https://youtu.be/c9FZUkbSF1A

I went back and looked at my original post, and I can see why you are confused. I was wrong, having confused the wall drill with something else. Now I need to try and figure out what I got it confused with. Sorry for wasting your time.

1 Like

OK. Don’t be sorry and you definitely did not wasted my time.
We are here voluntarily and every second spent here brings something new to our knowledge and training.

If you find the drill you were thinking about, just post a link. I’m always willing to run drills that can make me and my colleagues better shooters. :v:

1 Like

Along the lines of point shooting, since my eyes aren’t very precise at the moment I decided to train without them. Sort of. On my last few range trips I have been practicing “draw and fire” techniques at distances varying from 6’ to about 15’. My target is a full-size silhouette mounted at average man-height. I’m actually doing better than I expected. Fired 100+ rounds this morning and the spread stayed within the torso; the majority in a vertical band about 8 or 9 inches wide between the bellybutton and the clavicles.

These were fired in 2-5 round strings using my EDC, holstered in my preferred carry position. Some while sitting, some standing, some from an angle, some while moving left or right. Draw, release the safety, point and fire. I ended the session relatively pleased. More training next week.

2 Likes