Please Speak up (Caution, graphic picture)

Well, it’s the reality of what firearms do to people. That’s how I look at it. You’re lucky you’re alive buddy!

1 Like

I’m ok with leaving it up. Let’s see what the Community has to say and we’ll go from there, @Robbie13. This Community is there for you guys so let’s see what everyone says and go from there, ok?

6 Likes

@Robbie13 and @James I believe another issue that adds to the problem is the longer headspace in the chamber of 7.62 rifles, which can lead to a rupture in the thinner walled .308 round. Rifles stamped .308 can fire both, but rifles stamped 7.62 should only fire 7.62.

2 Likes

@Kerryman71, thanks so much, bud! That really helps. I really appreciate the input from you guys. You’ve been an amazing help!

2 Likes

So what happened to you, did the bullet graze your chest and seperate the skin from your pectoral muscle? Did another hunter shoot you? I’m just curious, sorry for the questions.

1 Like

I wouldn’t turn my nose at a used hunting rifle in .308. You can find something that has barely been shot with a decent scope that is pretty high quality for like 600. Hunters barely shoot their rifles. I read in another post that you have 12 kids, so I’m sure you want the super high speed .308, but that probably won’t happen.

2 Likes

As a very active RSO, we get hit with fragments a lot, especially if we’re shooting steel, you get use to it believe it or not, sometimes it can make you bleed, and sometimes it doesn’t.

I don’t want to derail this conversation - please keep it going around your responses to this situation.

I would like feedback on the photo and the title change of this topic to include (Caution, graphic picture)?

Does that work for you guys? I’m going to look for a way to possible blur the picture and have it viewable with a click (if that tech is available) does that work for you all?

4 Likes

I think the photo is fine, but some people may have sensitivities brought on by trauma, or just a natural uneasiness. So the warning is good. Carrying a gun for self defense can be a unpleasant thing if forced to use it. I think it is better to leave it up with a warning.

2 Likes

On AR500 that’s been heat treated? I’ve never had backsplash with steel unless it’s pocked up, or you’re dangerously close and should be using plywood. I wouldn’t be ok with getting hit with fragments all the time, that’s unacceptable. I definitely didn’t like the burning feeling.

@James, the bullet went through the muscle under the skin, outside the rib cage. (Obviously, because I’m explaining it to you) It was at point blank range. We were sitting in the ground blind together. It’s a shot that I wouldn’t have attempted.

1 Like

@Dawn I personally don’t mind either way. Its an unfortunate reality of firearms. But no one in our community should feel uncomfortable. I think your idea of blurred until clicked is great. Or a ‘click here to view’ option. Or a separate thread to use to post photos. Just some ideas. Like I said, I don’t mind personally but someone might.

3 Likes

Yeah, I figured it wasn’t through the vitals! Well thanks for sharing. I’m sorry it happened to you buddy, and I’m glad you’re getting back out to hunt.

2 Likes

The awesome technical peeps I work with may have found a blur solution! I don’t want to restrict quality interactions even if they include graphic injury pictures that add to the conversations. We’ll do our best to find a good solution!

Now that doesn’t mean graphic content for the sake of graphic content is welcome - we’re not here for gross pictures :confounded:

3 Likes

The picture is fine as is for me.

I have a few good ones. They don’t bother me at all, and I don’t mind that you added something onto what I wrote for the subject for this conversation.

I don’t mind the pictures, and I don’t mind that you posted a warning about it. Some people can get a little woozy about it.

2 Likes

Somewhat rare, but I have a Dan Wesson .445 Supermag with a compensated 8” barrel. It will bring down about any game.

2 Likes

DUDE! I’ve been in trauma medicine for 30 years and all I can say is you are one lucky man. 7mm mag to the chest and still kicking. You have something important to finish.

5 Likes

Keeryman71.

Wrong it’s a pressure issue. 7.62 NATO is higher pressure than .308 win. A .308 chamber could rupture just like the difference between a gun chambered for .223 vs 5.56. You can do it but you run the risk of damaging you weapon.

1 Like