Planning My Training

I want to put a training plan together for myself. My ultimate goal is to qualify to teach handgun and CCW courses.

I have held my Florida CWFL for 3 1/2 years. I don’t get to the range enough. I know I need training and practice. I want to start with marksmanship (if I can’t hit a small target reliably, how can I teach others?).

Who can help me draft a training plan?

3 Likes

The lovely folks here certified can surley give some advise on that!

What would you recommend, @zee

1 Like

Thanks for the tag @Randall318!
@OldGnome it depends on how fast you want to move :slight_smile:

Here are some things you can start today:

• set aside a time to practice dry fire several times a week to every day. And then do it.
  • make a decision on how often you want to go to the range… every week? Twice a month? … and then do it.
  • think about what you want to teach, marksmanship is different than personal defense in both the skills and the purpose, so consider what you really care about passing on.

You dont have to be an expert marksman to teach, but your skills have to be adequate for your discipline. There are probably more than a few on here who can outperform me on the range, but teaching is about teaching not perfect shooting. I have to know what I’m talking about, and what I’m doing, to teach, but good shooting isn’t enough. My hubby can out shoot me every day, and hes a good teacher, but I’ll wager im a better one. :wink:

Here are some of the near term things you can do:

• find a local trainer or coach. Get in their group class (for a less expensive look at how they train) or book a private lesson. Get some pro feedback on your current skills and what you need to improve.
  • use that info to make a plan for your own training, book training time or range time and then do it.
  • look at the USCCA on line courses and perhaps take those as a head start on your teacher training
  • sign up for one of the USCCA live courses and take that to see what the training you will be conducting teaches. You’ll get some learning on your own skills while you’re in it, but take it for the chance to watch the teacher work too.
  • sign up for one of the USCCA instructor courses if you think you’re ready to take on certifying as an instructor.

NRA also offers the same sorts of program, but personally I like the USCCA material better. Some folks like me are certified under both houses.

Finally, take some friends shooting, get them started, but really pay attention to communicating safety, and focus on setting them up for success, and making sure they’re having fun. Think about what they ask, what they do, what they have trouble with. Think about their experience of learning.

Theres lots more detail to look at, things around business of teaching, teaching skills, getting the stuff a teacher requires, getting students, etc. Let me know if you want to talk about those now :slight_smile:

Let me know if that gets to what you’re interested in or if I haven’t answered your questions.

4 Likes

He’s my literal 2 cents.

1.) You might be surprised what niche you’re able fill here. There’s a gap between beginners and experts (for lack of better terms) Novice shooters who may be bored with beginners class but intimidated to take an advanced course.

2.) Accuracy is very easy to get hung up on. I used to think I was a bad shot because of my grouping. Hitting small target or shooting tight groups has been the standard. I was fortunate enough to have someone go to the range with me and show me what was considered “combat” accuracy. It boosted my confidence and I actually started shooting better when I quit worrying about how tight the group was. When is shoot it doesn’t look like I used a shotgun but I’m not driving nails either. Don’t get so hung up on tight groups that you think you don’t have something to offer.

You never know how you’ll affect those lives you touch. Good luck and God speed.

2 Likes

Yep, that ^^^

@Sully_LST @Kiest anything y’all want to add?

1 Like

I think you all covered everything! I’ll keep it short and sweet.

1. Study, practice, and commit to learning the fundamentals front and back! I’m talking safe weapon handling, basic nomenclature for revolver and semi automatic, stance, draw, sight alignment and picture, trigger press, and follow through. These are the fundamentals. If you can talk yourself through “how to” in a mirror on on video, then this is a good start.
  2. Get with a good firearm instructor or instructor program to get some type of format and reference materials. The teach backs are where I got my money’s worth, because I had to stand up in an actual classroom in front of ppl and teach. They gave me valuable feedback on my classroom presence and material covered.
  3. And of course range and dry firing as much as you can. If you can’t get to the range, there are other options now like replica sub-round guns (i.e. CO2 pellet guns) that look, feel, and function like the real gun. Again, it’s all about getting those reps up! Good luck and let us know how you do!
2 Likes

@Zee - thanks. That’s a huge help. I have been putting off my training because of work and school (I recently finished a degree). I am looking specifically for a local trainer or coach. I have been looking at the USCCA course offerings, but I’m not finding much - perhaps I’m not looking in the right place.

2 Likes

Cool :blush:
What area are you located in? (Or pop me a PM) I’ll see if I can help you find a local USCCA instructor

1 Like

Before I read the other comments I will say this, one good way to train is buying a laser training round. This way you can dry fire in your house and improve your accuracy. I personally train like this daily, but this is not the only practice you need.

Next I would advise, if you don’t have the ability to make a range in your back yard like I have, see if any of your friends may have one or three ability to make one. Especially if the prices of the ranges aren’t exactly in your ability on a regular basis.

Now on my range I train for anything and everything that could possibly happen. I have MS, so sometimes I need a Walker or wheelchair. So I train with those, along with firing from the ground. Another thing I do is have someone set up several targets while I have my back to the wall, some are innocent bystanders and the rest are bad guys.

All this can be a good starting point, but also you should read up on the material the USCCA has for us and learn your local laws. I hope this has helped.

2 Likes

@Brian_J - I love your idea. Unfortunately, I live on less than 1/8 of an acre with neighbors all around. I have access to a couple of ranges, one of which is outdoors. My dream is to one day own enough land so that I can construct my own range. (See What would you do if you won the lottery?)

:grin:

2 Likes

Thank you @Kiest for adding on some pretty important details :smiley:

1 Like

I hope that you can make that happen soon, I was blessed in this aspect and it really has paid off. The USMC tought me that the best way to make sure you are capable and ready for any circumstance is to train hard and regularly. The only down side is that I really have no way to train for a zombie apocalypse or an alien abduction… lol

Although, I’d like to think I have plenty of resources at my disposal for the undead roaming the earth. :rofl::rofl::zombie:‍♂:woman_zombie::zombie:‍♂:woman_zombie::zombie:‍♂:woman_zombie:

1 Like

Happy Birthday, @Brian_J!!

1 Like

Happy Birthday @Brian_J!!!

Hope you have a blessed one, with many more to come here after!

1 Like