Pistol Sight Upgrades

I shoot at an expert level and on my best day couldn’t pull that off.

2 Likes

@WildRose, @Zee - Thanks for the compliments. This is one of the tighter groups I have shot at 25 yards. I’ll see if I can replicate that performance this week. I may need a very slight tweak on the new sights too, just to shift the groups closer to center. A few more groups while watching my trigger pull will confirm if it is me or the new sights need a tiny push to the left. I’ll post updates.

1 Like

Nathan, did you say that the Dot Torture target was shot at ten feet? Is that slow or rapid fire? I think I’ll give that one a try next range day.

Regards.

2 Likes

@David38 - Yes I shoot that drill at 10 feet or so. I shot 5 shots in each target. If I have all my shots in, I will speed up on the next target. I’ll keep increasing my cadence until I pull a shot outside of the dot. I’ll then “reset” and slow down again.

1 Like

Here are some targets from earlier today. I will say that I am really loving my G19 with the Trijicon HD XR night sights. The first photo is a clean run on a dot torture style target at 10 yards (broken lines count haha). The next 3 photos are 10-shot strings at 25 yards. I had one shot just off the right edge of the paper on a couple of them. These are not quite as tight as my target from earlier in this post, but I am still happy that I can hit a piece of printer paper with consistency at that distance while using a stock (besides the sights) G19. This combination has also done great in double tap and “Bill Drills” for me.

2 Likes

Kick.En.Butt @Nathan! Nice work!!

1 Like

I run Trijicon “Bright & Tough” night sights on all of my glocks (17, 26, 43). The white rings pick up well in most light conditions, and the green tritium vials work well at night.

I tried the Trijicon HD XR night sights on my Glock 43. Tried the orange front post first, but the orange didn’t pick up well for me (I’m slightly color blind), so I tried the green one next. I would have kept them, but the ridges on the rear sight (seen in @Nathan’s 2nd pic in the first post) started wearing holes in my tshirts and really abraded my stomach (I carry appendix). So I got the Bright & Tough instead. The HD XRs are now sitting in a box with all the other gear I got that didn’t quite work right for me :smiley:. I do think the HD XRs were a bit more accurate for me, but not enough to overcome the rough rear sight. I googled around and some people have issues with the ridges on the rear sight and some people don’t ¯\-(ツ)-/¯

2 Likes

@Harvey - I have not had any problems with the rear sight so far, but that is good information to have. I carry on my strong side hip, so maybe that helps to alleviate those issues. It is like the “half moon” cutout on the front strap of the Gen5 Glocks. They drive some people crazy, but it hasn’t bothered me at all.

1 Like

I put Ameriglo sights on my G23. Love them.

3 Likes

Another fan of the XS Big Dot sights on my pistols, although I did add a Crimson Trace laser to my Glock 42 as well to help my aging eyes.

I found the XS Big Dot is great for quick target acquisition, especially on the move, such as in Action Pistol.

4 Likes

I’ll have to take a look at those, haven’t shot with them @Ivanidea. That aging eye thing, yeah :roll_eyes:
Glad you’re here, welcome to the group!

1 Like

@Ivanidea, thanks for the input and welcome to the discussion! I assume the XS Big Dots are night sights. True? I like the idea of big dots for aging eyes, too. Can’t get too much help!!! Right, @Zee? lol

2 Likes

Stock sights on all but I need to paint the faded sights on my most common carry my P95 and my 1911 is a smooth gun for how cheap it was but the biggest problem with it is junk sights, the rattle off after about 2 shots. I’m can still hit center mass top of gun line of site though… my 1911 I have carried, it’s just not my prefered.

2 Likes

I ran big dots on all my pistols. Then was introduced to the F8 sights and am currently swapping over to the F8 sight from XS.

Any XS sight is going to be quality and I believe it’ll be a personal preference between a big dot and F8 sight. Great choice @Ivanidea

1 Like

@Nancy, right with you there :smiley:
there’s a nice video of the big dot sights here:

1 Like

I agree its probably like the cutout :slight_smile:, or even the finger grooves. Your G19 is both larger and carried in a different location. I do wish they worked for me though as they felt a bit easier to get accurate shots at distance which is harder with the shorter sight radius on the G43

1 Like

Yes sir!

I concur that on the move, XS-BD’s are the way to go!

I have the Crimson Laser Guard XS-BD’s setup 3.8 XDM, and on my pocket gun, the M&P BG380. The Standard Dot on my 4.5 XDM for fast competition acquisition I find to better than BD.

However, James Yeager mad a fun video featuring Big Dots that’s worth seeing. He turns the gun upside down and shoots on target 25, 50 and 100 yards.

1 Like

@zee Thanks for the video, it was really helpful. @Ronald1, your video was fun and helpful. Now I want Big Dot sights on at least one of my guns, just don’t know which one yet, I will try them out, though. Count on it!

2 Likes

Great!

The owner of XS Sights is very personable. If you find the sights for a lower price somewhere else, and you want XS to install them (highly recommend), it’s only $40 for the labor plus return shipping.

On my guns below 4’’ I have the Big Dots; my 4.5 XDM OSP the Standard dot which provides a co-witness to the optic, but when I go out to 75yds, I depend on the Dot, and 90% of my shots are mostly within the 8’s ring.

Honestly it makes shooting so much fun, especially if you’re training young shooters. Dotting the I makes sense to them.

Enjoy!

1 Like