Pistol Options for People with Strength and Other Hand Issues

There’s been a number of different discussions here about options for people with hand strength, recoil sensitivity and other issues. Just saw the pistol above and looks like it could be a viable option.

With the tip up barrel you don’t need to rack the slide. With the manual safety you can carry it with the hammer back so you don’t have to deal with the long and heavy trigger pull of a DA or revolver. It has a good capacity. And being a .380 with a 22oz frame the recoil should be very manageable but it is not too heavy for most people to be able to carry.

6 Likes

I like it. Just wonder how hard it is to see clear or extract the one in the chamber.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it in person or handled it but suspect it would be very easy to tip up the barrel to check its status.

Would also be easy to clear the round from the chamber without messing with the magazine if you wanted to store it without a round in the chamber.

3 Likes

I can’t say anything about this specific model, but I’m glad manufacturers are thinking about such things.

3 Likes

The S&W EZ .380 model are decent as well, and the slide is pretty easy to rack. I know others recommend a revolver, but really would need trigger work depending on your hands.

6 Likes

Interesting design – kinda a bigger version of Beretta 22, 25 and 32 cal tip up pocket pistols.

In the event of a malfunction – failure to extract, eject or light primer strike or simply out of ammo, how does one clear the malfunction without racking the slide?

3 Likes

In the past year I have read a couple of articles on the use of .22LR or .22MAG for self defense carry.
From the NRA Women site:
Do .22 LR Pistols Make Sense for Self-Defense? (2020)
Do .22 Mag. Snubnose Revolvers Make Sense for Self-Defense?

From Active Response Training (Greg Ellifritz)
Why Carry a .22?
Using the .22 for Self Defense
Real World .22s for Self Defense

The thrust of the articles was that some folks with older, weaker, or mildly arthritic hands simply cannot handle the operation or recoil of the more powerful center fire ammunition, but can handle a .22 adequately. Further, given that shot placement is so important in stopping a threat, a well placed .22 can be as or more effective than a less accurate .380 or 9mm.
Thus, the recommendations in those articles was for those who need to, find a reliable .22, learn to shoot it well, and carry it. A usable gun is much more helpful than no gun.
Plus, remember Tom Givens’ mantra: “Carry your d@mn gun!”

Given the above, I think it would be totally proper for CCW classes to allow, or even encourage, small caliber handguns for those who need or would benefit from using them.

4 Likes

You would still have to rack the slide to quickly load a new round out of the mag after a malfunction as well as to fix some malfunctions but suspect that being able to tip up the barrel would make it easier to deal with light primer strikes as well as some failure to extract and eject situations.

Ideally this pistol would be relatively easy to rack as well.

3 Likes

Knock off of the old Beretta 86 Cheetah. Lots of easy rack pistols lately. Thumbing the hammer back alleviates a lot of the force necessary to rack a slide. Recoil can be alleviated with ammo selection. Norma NXD 65 grain 9mm has noticeably less recoil than 115 grain.

4 Likes