People look at me as if I’m crazy?

Sounds like you’re on the right track, but I’m wondering if you’re dealing with some PTSD from being robbed. Certainly there’s nothing wrong with being situationally aware or armed, but be low key about it. Be a sheep dog. Blend in with the sheep (everyday people with no plan or ability to protect themselves) and just be cool. Not sure how it is at your gas station, but many gas stations I delivered fuel to had strict policies against employees carrying any kind of weapon. With that in mind, you don’t want to get busted packing heat. But for Pete’s sake, if you’re going to keep a gun, keep it on your person and not under a counter or in a bag. On your person is the safest and most useful place you can keep it.

If you can park your car in a more well lit area, that might be beneficial. It would probably be a good idea to carry a good OC spray. You’re probably more likely to need a non lethal than your gun while working at a gas station.

If you have the ability, take some shooting classes. Not classroom classes. Shooting classes. Classes which emphasize holster draws and movement. Your gun and permit are worthless unless your skills are developed and recently practiced. Skills are perishable.

Sounds like you’re on the right path. Hope this helps, but if possible seek professional training from professionals who continually get top tier training. Regularly. Random opinions/ advice from people on the internet can be a mixed bag to say the least. (Including mine. I make no claims about being any kind of expert.)

3 Likes

If I saw someone in a parking lot with a flashlight, I’d take notice, but I wouldn’t immediately be suspicious.

Now, if I saw a guy in a parking lot with something that likely didn’t belong there, say a crowbar, or a Molotov cocktail, I’d be suspicious.

(It’s a Carmel PD thing.)

3 Likes

Yes I do have some PTSD from being robbed. Sometimes when I’m at work alone at night, I get like visions of a robbery going on, but that’s the only thing I can think of. It happens every once in a while.

2 Likes

Scary world out there.
Checkout Active Self Protection on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ActiveSelfProtection
They show and analyze real world situations and give suggestions on how to deal with them.
Sometime purposeful compliance is the only answer, sometime choosing your time to counter-ambush is the answer.
God Bless and Stay Safe!
-Mark-

4 Likes

Consider yourself validated.

Master Po

2 Likes

I’m a beverage vendor and deal with gas station attendants often. Usually if there’s not somebody at the counter, I’ll go looking for them. They’re typically stocking shelves, in the cooler, cleaning, or using the rest room during normal daylight hours. It’s somewhat predictable, given the inability to hire good and reliable staff as of late. That said, the Spidey sense will usually go off if something feels out of the ordinary. I don’t carry my pistol at work, for now. It’s not permitted, but I’m not against carrying it if things take a turn (topic for a different discussion). I do carry a knife, a flashlight, and my wits. During off hours I have all of the above, plus my EDC. In the same circumstances, that’s where my brain logically goes, and they can usually be found doing those tasks. BUT it’s no longer broad daylight, and I will call out looking for staff, as well as using the walleye mirrors checking blind spots and behind me for possible suspects. I like to be pleasantly surprised, but I don’t like surprises. Not that things can’t happen during the day, the circumstances are just less favorable at night. I guess long story long, situational awareness is of the utmost importance, but it’s also helpful to know your locale, and how certain folks operate. Also, if you’re a regular at one of these convenience stores, say hi and develop a rapport with the staff, you never know how it could impact your situation or theirs. Plus, you could make a friend! Stay safe out there!

5 Likes

I agree. I’m a people watcher and am always amazed at how clueless 99% of the population is as to what is going on around them. Most of the time they are glued to their phones and never look up. These are the kinds of people predators look for. I learned situational awareness as a combat veteran many years ago and my head stays on a swivel 100% of the time. If I’m pumping gas in my car, I put the fuel lever on lock and step 3’ away from my car while it is fueling and am constantly looking around at everyone and everything around me. It’s this same situational awareness that, about a dozen years ago, allowed me to observe that a robbery of a 7-11 was about to go down and put a stop to it before it ever got off the ground.

6 Likes

A few years ago one of my sons was at a gas mart one evening getting gas an a guy approached him. He didnt finish getting gas got in his car and left. Well I rode to the station with him the next morning to finish filling his car up. Wouldnt you know the same guy is still hanging around irritating people. I was sitting in my sons car and gave him palms up and and the Drill Sgt tone to back off. In this instance he tripped over his self doing it. This seems to be spot for this kind of thing :us:

3 Likes

Just yesterday around 8pm, I was walking to my car from a Family Dollar after getting a few items for my wife. I’m in condition yellow, as always & a rather unsavory character was briskly walking my direction. He was coming between two cars the next row over about 35 feet away & obviously going to approach me. I was 10 feet from my car and stopped to face him. I stated loudly that I had no money, cigarettes or anything else for him. He increased his speed so I lifted my shirt put my hand on my pistol grip and with the other arm extended with an open palm, signaling stop, I said “Do not approach me any closer!” He stopped and I instructed him to walk away from me NOW. He instantly turned & complied. I’m 65 years old, 6"3, 245lbs & in reasonably good shape. I was much larger than he was so I figured that he most likely had a weapon. I drove across the street, called law enforcement & waited to see what he did. he was trying door handles and looking for victims which I relayed to the dispatcher. A black & white showed up & shortly after, two more. He was arrested, warrants I assume.
FOLKS, THAT’S THE WORLD WE LIVE IN!

8 Likes

It sure is it seems. Glad it turned out the way it did
:us: :us:

4 Likes

I’m retired military as well & was an Escambia County Deputy Sheriff for a few years before moving back to Texas.

4 Likes

I was on a date with a new girl and her mom was with us and I was talking to the mom. I’m in a booth looking at the door. Next thing I see is a guy with a satchel hidden underneath his coat and his hand inside the satchel sitting there. He walked past and I started looking to see where he is and where he went and her mom was like “Do you know that man?” I’m like no. But he walked in suspiciously. And gave me a funny look.

4 Likes

10 yrs active here, Finished up my 23 in the guard. Thanks to you for serving.

3 Likes

You as well, brother

2 Likes

You should present a confident demeanor at all times, but not arrogance. Keep your head on that swivel, and always know how you would handle a situation if arises. It can save you, as it did me in Phillie. I caught the sign that I was a target, and basically confronted him to let him know I caught him, and he backed down. No brandishing, no shooting, everything good. If they know you are on to them, they can’t handle it. They don’t want an adversary, they want a VICTIM. Don’t be one!

3 Likes

Had a guy on the Trax Ramp line up on me as he walked towards me, he slowly reached into his jacket and took ahold of something. By now he’s about 3 feet away and pulling his hand out of his jacket, next thing he knows he’s flat on his back and I’m knee to belly and telling him don’t pull it out M*F!! He pretty well crapped his jeans. The ramp cop ran over and intervened. He eventually pulled a phone out. To me, I wasn’t going to wait around to see what he had, he lined up on me and tried to intimidate. I will not hesitate to defend myself or others, in the words of Master Lawrence “Better to be judged by 10 than carried by 8.”

3 Likes

Wrote this on another topic a ways back. I pulled up to my local Valero to fuel up. There was another customer on the opposite side of the pump doing the same. Some guy comes out of the store flailing his arms and cussing. He looks at us then goes behind the store continuing this. They guy on the other side sees me uncover my Browning and move into defensive stance. The guy comes back out. Looks like he may come my way. I look at him directly. Not sure but something made him go about his business in the other direction. For some reason other customer just nods to me. Glad it went this way also :us:

4 Likes

what you did was let him know that attacking you would be a mistake. Each situation calls for different solutions. Yours woeked for you, and that is better than needing to draw the weapon. The guy on the other side was probably very glad or agrees with carry. Congrats.

4 Likes

I was watching the protector Academy and Attorney Tom Grieve stated that drawing can get you a felonious assault charge while keeping it holstered but cleared won’t.

2 Likes

In Utah I can legaly lift my shirt and put my hand on my EDC if I believe someone is up to no good.

76-10-506. Threatening with or using dangerous weapon in fight or quarrel.

(b) Threatening manner does not include:
(i) the possession of a dangerous weapon, whether visible or concealed, without additional behavior which is threatening; or
(ii) informing another of the actor’s possession of a deadly weapon to prevent what the actor reasonably perceives as a possible use of unlawful force by the other and the actor is not engaged in any activity described in Subsection 76-2-402(3)(a).

(3) This section does not apply to an individual who, reasonably believing the action to be necessary in compliance with Section 76-2-402, with purpose to prevent another’s use of unlawful force:

(a) threatens the use of a dangerous weapon; or

(b) draws or exhibits a dangerous weapon.

3 Likes