PCA and being disabled

Ok,  so I'm disabled and have a PCA (Personal Care Assistant) who is my girlfriend.  The company she works for is VERY anti 2nd amendment and told me as long as she's on the clock my firearms ALL need to be locked up.  
 Now,  I'm a veteran and am licensed to carry here in Minnesota.  The owner of the company didn't care about the fact that I'm licensed AND used firearms all of my adult life.  So,  I wasn't allowed to carry in my own vehicle or even my own home while my girlfriend was on the clock. I had several conversations with the nurse that came out once a month to check on me about my rights. 
This had been going on for about 2 years and the 4th of July was coming up (2019) and I had had enough. My girlfriend had called up the owner and had it on speaker phone.  I simply asked if she had reconsidered her stance setting as how it was my girlfriend and my own home and vehicle.  She went off on a tirade about how she wasn't going to allow it. 
 She proceeded to tell me it was just like her office being anti gun.  I pointed out the fact that she has no such sign stating that at the office.  She was getting more mad by the second about me standing up for my God given and constitutional right to defend myself.  With every fact I stated like, it takes police to show up at my house about 30 minutes (we live in the country) or that if something happens to where I could die if an intruder had the chance,  she just kept getting more livid. 
At this point I had enough and told her that she was FIRED, she wanted to talk more about this.  I told her I was done talking and said "BYE FELICIA" and we hung up on her.  The owner has since tried to sabotage me with the county and other PCA companies.  But,  I have found a new company that allows me my rights. 
What do you guys think? Did I jump the gun here (no pun intended)? Or did I give her more than enough chances to correct her leftist thinking?
2 Likes

Brian_J, I’ll start by saying thanks for standing up for all of us in your military service.
I hate the cliche, but you did the time, you deserve appreciation for it.

Second, home health care providers can be some of the nicest folk in the world.
And… I’ve found incredibly irritating when you find those “buttons” that just turn civil people into unreasonable idiots. MY experience was just the fact I had cats to help comfort my housemate during her last years. When We needed help to Home Hospice, an HHCP supervisor coming into our house for the first interview demanded we secure the animals whenever people from her company came into our residence. Needless to say, I helped that Lady escape our residence as quickly as I could to ensure she would not be threatened or injured by my pets. We went on to find another team who couldn’t have cared less.

This may be similar to what you’ll need to do, to resolve your problems. Beyond that, bounce the situation off your attorney and see if there is any legal recourse. Good luck, I am partially disabled too and I do not look forward to the time I’ll need help to survive.

3 Likes

I can’t afford an attorney, but I got the problem fixed like I said by switching to another company. If my girlfriend had a problem with my firearms or the fact that I carry everyday, well she wouldn’t be my girlfriend for long. And as to the pet issue, the nurse was terrified by our 2 inside dogs and 3 inside cats. One of my dogs just wanted attention but she about peed her pants​:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

From the sound of it I think you both (you and your girlfriend) handled it amicably. I am glad you stood up for your rights and found some other company who respected them as well. For all I care that first company can go to bankruptcy.

1 Like

I agree, sad part is that they just may. From what I hear a lot of the employees don’t like the owner and the is a high turnover rate. It’s funny, when the owners of the new company came out to talk to us, the husband started talking to me about my EDC pistols and come to find out we have the same .308 rifle.

1 Like

as they say, we vote with our dollars, the same goes for businesses :sunny:

1 Like

Exactly, I have business cards that say this.
“Gun- free zones are killing zones. I will not risk my life here without my legally carried firearm”

2 Likes