Out Of Spec 9 mm Rounds

Had an interesting experience on Friday. I went to the range and shot around 200 rounds of Winchester 115 grain 9 mm Ball ammo. I say around 200 rounds because two of the cases were too long to chamber correctly! 1% of the rounds were out of spec and unable to be fired. I have only had this happen once before with Browning 9 mm Ammo, it was the same failure as well, the brass case was too long and the slide could not go into battery. Is this common? Is this something to be concerned about? I checked all my self defense ammo visually and each round looked exactly the same. Is this something others are experiencing?

3 Likes

Haven’t encountered that particular issue, but I’ve had other issues with practice ammunition.

With regards to self defense ammunition, I read somewhere that they go through a more stringent quality assurance process at the factory to minimize feeding and firing issues.

Just to be safe, I use a case gauge on ammunition I use for my EDC.

6 Likes

You shoot enough ammo it’s bound to happen at some point. As you stated, “you almost shot 200.” So, in my experience it’s rare, but from time to time, it happens. Any company is subject to produce and dispatch a bad batch at some point. It’s up to us (the end user) to ensure that it doesn’t get into the gun and if it does, know what to do to clear it.

5 Likes

Gives whole new meaning to “buyer beware!”

5 Likes

Last weekend I had a Browning .380 round that was too big around.

4 Likes

Buy some reloading gear. In my set up, I use all manner of gauges and dies to properly size and check the ammo. You are unlikely to save much money, but you get to shoot more. Plus, I reduce reliance on unreliable supply chains and panic ammo buying.

5 Likes

I have never experienced that one personally, but I have heard it talked about in the past. I had some 5.56 a few years ago that had the case necks appear uneven. It was harmless but caught my eye. It was Federal ammo from a reputable dealer.

4 Likes

I’ve thought about it, but thus far have not pressed the trigger on the idea. I just haven’t had the time.

4 Likes

Winchester is terrible, with terrible quality control, has been for years now, and they don’t care ( have contacted them multiple times, multiple years, with mic measurements and lot numbers and photos and never heard boo)

I have had several times more out of spec rounds from them, across multiple calibers/cartridges, than all others combined. Also personally witnessed at the range more from them than all others combined.

I absolutely refuse to buy or use any winchester ammo and suggest the same.

One of my failures was a 50 round box of Winchester white box .357 Sig where at least 7 of the cartridges were significantly over COAL to the point they jammed up sideways nice and tight in the magazine. Sent those pics and mic measurements and lot numbers to winchester and per usual never heard back.

4 Likes

In case you dont know,the 380 and the 9m brass are the same diameter and the 9mm brass are longer than the 380 brass

3 Likes

Roger that. I was talking about some strange 5.56 I got in the past.

3 Likes

They might have been AK 74 brass,I haven’t really checked the difference brass between the AK74 and the 556 brass never thought of it before,but the 74 is close to the 22cal 556

1 Like

5.54x39
5.56x45?

1 Like

When ammo is in short supply, Winchester does not have to care about its quality control.

2 Likes

In my instance, it was simply some poorly made 5.56. I was describing how I had received some brand new ammo that was less than perfect.

1 Like

What I have been more surprised with is .22 WMR. I have never had one fail to cycle, even when the case has huge indents caused by improper magazine loading. I have had bad .22 LR with Winchester’s cheap target ammo as well. It wouldn’t feed right or eject properly in an auto pistol.

1 Like

I’ve had the same thing happen with Remington .38 Spls.
Not good.

Don’t take any chances with SD ammo.
Plunk test every round before you load 'em in your magazines or speed loaders.
Time well spent.

3 Likes

I have 3 boxes of .556 ammo that locks up my barrel up from one box, afraid to use the 2 boxes. Covid hit quality control hard. We had 38 special do a squib load one time. So start watching your ammo.

4 Likes

I did have issues many years ago with Remington .45 ACP Ball Ammo, wouldn’t feed properly! I found it to be the gun. It would feed hollowpoints w/o issue, Rem Ball, major headache. No longer have that gun, wish I did though, The Colt Double Eagles are climbing in price. Would have had quadruple the money for it!

Many many moons ago when 9 was a “European” round the issue wasn’t that uncommon. My uncle brought home a nice P-38 from WW2. He had some ammo for it and s got it up. Worked fine. In the late 40’s he bought some American made 9. Gun had countless ftf and fte. He gave up and stuck it on a shelf. In the early 70’s one day he started talking about it. I told him I’d read about early US ammo being substandard. He brought the old pistol out. I cleaned it and took itto the range. 3 boxes ran through with Zero issues. He bought a fresh box and kept it loaded from then on. Never another issue.

4 Likes