Open Heart/Bypass Surgery

I see you are 65- at 64 I had a quintuple bypass. The doc said I was within hours of dying when he performed a beating-heart surgery (no bypass machine). So, surgery is better than the alternative.
It’s been 8 years since my surgery; it was tough for a month or so in the beginning, but it gets better: if that is your prescribed path, you will end up feeling much more alive when you recover. Your ordeal will give you a new perspective on life as to what is important and what is not.
Good luck.

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Randy72 and God bless you.

Welcome to the family brother @Earl32 and you are blessed to be here.

Welcome to the family brother @Troy58 and you are in the right place at the right time.

Gary H

I’m Don 59
I had 6 bypasses this past December
Had some symptoms as you ibiwn a small Contracting company and was back out in the field 2 wks after inwas home not really doing much but out there getting back on my feet and moving was the best thing for me 1 mouth after surgery I was released by my Dr and asked to go back to work full time with minimal restrictions I’m doing great now watching what I eat and working out 2 to 3 times a week now good luck with your recovery

Don Wilson Sr.

2 Likes

Gary H,
All our prayers, God is watching over you. As a retired nurse the leaps modern medicine has made are wonderful. Heart surgery is never easy but with good life style changes and a good medical team you will add many quality years to your life and be back at the range enjoying your favorite shooting sport. God bless and speedy recovery.

3 Likes

I am a doctor and I UNDERSTAND your apprehension.
I think coronary artery bypass can restore the ability to return to your former life of running.
We live in a world of miracles and this is one. There is always a risk but the alternative is not good.

3 Likes

Prayers up for improvement in your health!

2 Likes

Gary,
I worked for a large CV provider and hospital system in the Midwest for 2 decades.
First, although it looks like a pretty straightforward case, you might want to consider a second opinion.
MOST IMPORTANTLY–your surgeon should have a case history of at least 125 bypass surgeries per year, and the hospital should have a dedicated ICU and step down unit for open heart patients, and should have high volumes as well.
You can start your research here. Medicare.gov This site gives you some pretty fair stats on providers and facilities.
Here is a link that should get you to the top 100 hospitals–there are breakdowns by condition. 100 great hospitals in America | 2020

PM me if you’d like to discuss.

3 Likes

Thanks @Aaron25 , I have a 2nd opinion visit set up for 21 September (this month) with another surgeon in Orlando.

The 1st surgeon meets all the criteria you listed. He is 57 years old with thousands of bypass surgeries under his belt. He has hundreds of 5 star reviews on every platform I’ve researched him on.

Edit: Advent Orlando is on your 100 best link. I had trouble with the website on my phone so will have to check the original hospital later.

Edit2: Original hospital is not on the 100 great list.

1 Like

You are in my prayers, my only advise to you is to perform your surgery in the best cardiovascular department possible. In the Midwest I recommend: Mayo Clinic and Northwestern Memorial Hospital. Cleveland Clinic is an option as well.

3 Likes

So sorry for your heart problems. I’ve never had a bypass, but I had a heart attack over 20 years ago that was resolved with a stent. My brother-in-law had bypass a few years ago and he recovered very nicely from it. Do everything your doctors tell you and keep the faith. I’ll say a prayer for you and for a quick and full recovery.

3 Likes

You will be in my prayers. 2 suggestions - Look up Dr. Steve Gundry of California; a heart guy among other things. Second, may I recommend a Bellicon trampoline for whatever recovery may be ahead. NASA uses this when guys or gals return from space. easy on the joints and great levels of exercise. - Sam

2 Likes

I’ve had some heart problems that now sound minor compared to your. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

2 Likes

Gary_H,
My thoughts and prayers go out to you, we are only here a short time and it is in God’s hands how long we stay here. Sorry, not trying to be morbid just believe our Maker has a plan for all of us and everyone’s day will come.
My Mother is 91 and still going. She had quadruple bypass surgery at 82. She has, (and still does) a gastric issue which causes gastric bleeding. Being hospitalized for that and fortunately having a wise ER doctor she ordered a CAT scan of my Mother’s heart. Five blockages were discovered. The cardiac team looked at her findings and called me. They advised because of the bleeding stints and subsequent blood thinners would be a death wish. So after discussing with my Mother the surgery was performed. Her surgical team was excited they would be working on a heart that had not been damaged. This prompted me to research the damage a heart attack causes, what a surprise! The surgery was successful. While she was in recovery I counted 13 machines hooked to her. Medical Technology amazes me, I have always worked on machines, not people. The next day they had her up walking. She spent a couple weeks in a rehab facility getting her strength back. Made it a few years at home alone. Now she lives in a retirement home, had a few events with her stomach but we hopefully have that under control now. So long story longer have the surgery and hope your recovery goes well. God Bless you and our Great Country.

2 Likes

I’m going to post something here with the intent of seeing if someone understands it. Is it bad, good, other?

I’d be interested in the mitral and aortic valves. They are usually the problem children.

2 Likes

Six days out of triple bypass surgery and I’m in perpetual exhaustion.
It’s still difficult to speak most times
Walking is no problem however getting sleep is (seems to be improving, slowly)
No appetite although I could stand to lose some weight

4 Likes

Hang in there @John292, I am sure it will get better :+1:

Part of me wishes I could have a stent or a bypass surgery, but not in the cards for me. Every one’s path is different…

4 Likes

Thank God you are re-cooperating brother and wish you a speedy recovery. Me and my wife will be praying for you. Be blessed.

3 Likes