Online Census

I was doing my civic duty (enforced by law), and filling out my census online. I found something kind of peculiar while answering questions about race. First I had to affirm that I was not hispanic, then I was given the opportunity to pick my race, and origin. I checked the box for white, and wrote American in the box for origin. They had examples like German, Irish, Lebanese, etc. After writing American I hit the next tab, it brought me back to the origins box, now outlined in red. I decided I was not going to change my answer, after all, I was born in the United States, both of my parents were born in the US, as well as my paternal, and maternal grandparents. So I hit the next tab again, same thing. The third time it finally went through. While filling out the same section for my wife, and answering with the same origin, I only had to hit the next tab 2 times. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

6 Likes

Brett, the hispanic thing is separate because they’re looking race is different than HIspanic background. Per the census bureau–

Summary of Issues

• Race and Hispanic origin are two separate concepts in the federal statistical system.
    • People who are Hispanic may be of any race.
    • People in each race group may be either Hispanic or Not Hispanic.
    • Each person has two attributes, their race (or races) and whether or not they are Hispanic.
  • Overlap of race and Hispanic origin is the main comparability issue.
    • For example, Black Hispanics (Hispanic Blacks) are included in both the number of Blacks and in the number of Hispanics.
  • “More than one race” option increases possible numbers and overlapping groups.
    • For example, the three categories of Blacks, Hispanics, and people reporting two or more races produce multiple overlapping groups.

The big thing is that federal funding is determined by this.

3 Likes

Awesome! I did the same thing on the 2010 census that we filled out on paper: AMERICAN!
The thing that I found peculiar was that it wanted my name and then the names of those living in my house. I thought the Census commercials said it was “confidential”. I’m going to hold out for a paper form, if they still have them.

2 Likes

I filled out “American Mutt” in all of the responses. The young lad that is staying with us since he got out of the Navy is black and I needed his B-day and all the other stuff. So I asked him about heritage. “I’m just black.” American Mutt work for you? “Yeah that works.”

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Awesome response! :us_outlying_islands: :dog2: