On my honor, I will do my best To do my duty to God and my country

At 70, I remember the words well. “I will keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.” Not sure what happened to that last one. “A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly, courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty, brave, clean, and reverent.” I never made it past Second Class because I couldn’t get Morse Code right. Somewhere in there was, “to help other people at all times and to obey the Scout Law.” I only left the troop because the Scoutmaster started using us as free landscaping labor. Not long after that the assistant Scoutmaster and the Scoutmaster’s wife were caught having an affair. Again, not sure what happened to “morally straight.”

4 Likes

The Boy Scouts haven’t gone woke so much as they’ve chosen to cease to exist.

4 Likes

When I heard and read about this my brain went numb. Not only were my 2 oldest boys involved in the BSA they and myself were also elected to the Order of The Arrow group within the boys scouts. Both of them worked as counselors during summer camps for 3 years at Northwoods, which the BSA has now sold, so sad. I am saddened that we have come to this in this country that we cannot keep certain things separate as they were meant to be, Sir Baden Powell must be turning over in his grave.

5 Likes

This was not a great day for Scouts. My brothers and I were Boy Scouts as was my late Son. Just too sad.

3 Likes

The Order of the Arrow is a very big deal in scouting. During my tenure in the Flaming Arrow Patrol (many years ago) it was deemed one of the highest honors a scout could achieve. Today, with the Woke in charge of seemingly everything in American Society, I fear the worse will come to pass. The words, “To keep myself Physically Strong, Mentally Awake, and Morally Straight…” Have been overturned by Joe Biden. In it’s place we observe a corrupt, crack-smoking, whoring son and a “president” who sees illegal immigrants as better than Americans.

6 Likes

I was PROUD to be in ‘The Arrow’
I dug the Sash too!
Good Times (away from dysfunction Junction–Mi Familia)
(2) weeks camping in pristine camp grounds!
Canoeing on the Delaware River!
Ten Miles river Scout camp
Alpine
Kiowa
Learning how to cook (sort of), Swim
Shoot anemic .22’s, Bows and Arrows
Earning all those Merit Badges (another sash)

I’d kill to be that happy again…today? not so much…so sad

Wokeness is a Disease

4 Likes

Well… :thinking:

All-boys alternative to Boy Scouts thriving, as BSA rebrands to Scouting America | Watch (msn.com)

2 Likes

This is how progressives work. They infiltrate every institution that is good and decent and destroy it from the inside. Another prime example is the YMCA. It was found as a Christian organization (Young Men’s Christian Athletics). Not anymore. There is nothing Christian left of that organization. The ONLY way we can fight it is to strangle them financially. Cut off complete support of any organization that doesn’t hold the same values as you. Unfortunately not enough people are willing to take a stand in this regard.

6 Likes

I no longer give to the Boy Scouts, but did for decades. I have concerns about some things they have done in recent years, but this name change is not among my concerns. A bit of history:

1. My brother and I earned our Eagle awards a month apart, and received them at the same Court of Honor in 1967.
  2. Explorer Scouts (age 14-18) have included girls since the 1960s!
  3. I was both an adult Scouter and. Girl Scout leader in the 1980s and '90s as my daughters were Girl Scouts. I saw Girl Scouts as developing problems, and both my daughters saw the differences; they, and many other girls, wished they could be in Boy Scouts. (My girls each spent a day at the quadrennial Boy Scouts National Jamboree.)
  4. I was a bit concerned when Boy Scouts announced they would enroll girls, but the way they did it was really good. Sponsoring organizations (e.g. schools or churches) would set up separate troops for girls, and the two troops could occasionally set up joint activities when appropriate.
  5. Most importantly, the girls could earn all Scout ranks, including Eagle. This was significant, because the equivalent Girl Scout level of Gold Award has never achieved the recognition that Eagle has had for a century.

This name change is not a big deal, and is, in fact a fitting change, not worth getting your knickers in a. twist. I do have many issues still with Scouting, and thus no longer support them, but the name change is not within my concerns.

2 Likes

I respect your view and thank you for not being a FUDD and flagging the op because it upset your “knickers”. A name change may not be a big deal for you but for more and more Americans it is the beginning of what is to be the next move (of which there have been many) into an America that is fast losing it’s identity as a respected, honorable and free country. “They” have already established that there are more than 50 genders and that you can identify as a cat if you so choose. If you want to see scouting as non-binary, be my guest. I choose to identify as a Glock 43X. So I’m fine with your choices.

2 Likes

Never was a boy scout. Never took an oath. Was however born an AMERICAN.

I just thought this was part of the deal. Having the good fortune to be born into the greatest nation ever on earth and by God’s power why would I not defend my birthright?

1 Like

Since you’re still involved, David, i find it odd you state, “No politics are allowed in the scouting program.”

The **added required for Eagle merit badge, Citizenship in Society, ** is certainly a direct example of politics and wokeism. The changes made in Commissioners and professional staff training would be another direct example. How about the Scouting units marching with Pride flags, isnt that political? The booths at the National Jamboree for “Identity Awareness” and “self comfort” sure seem like playing to the political winds of the day.

The celebration of 50 girls completing all requirements for Eagle rank in “just 19 months” doesn’t seem like leadership focus.

5 Likes

Did not know of this. Thanks for keeping this string informed. A name change is a name change. Especially to an organization as large and influential as the BSA.

3 Likes

So when Boston Chicken rebranded to Boston Market because it was selling more than just chicken, that was wokeness? Boy Scouts now accepts girls, so they are rebranding Scouting America. (And as an aside, they had to change their name to something when coming out of bankruptcy and trying to shake the image of sexual abuse and the millions paid out to abused boys). Not everything is a conspiracy…

It’s certainly not a Conspiracy, When it actually happens.

2 Likes

Ding Ding Ding Ding Ding!
You my good Sir are what in my old circles called a ‘HAMMER’ and to all Hammers everything looks like a Nail! Straight and to the point.
And just to stay on Topic my opinion only this will be another ‘FAIL’ from the Wokeness Brigade.
In Life:
**Everybody does NOT get a Participation Trophy
** If you are a Girl you can’t join the Boy Scouts!
**Just like if you are a Boy, NYET to the Girl Scouts (although those little skirts they…Oh Nevermind!
** YOU EARN Merit Badges! not get Badges just for showing up!
My parting thought (Coming from a Tenderfoot thru Order of the Arrow)
What are these fools going to do about ‘Co-Ed’ Camping ? Hmmmm?
Are we going to have ‘Community Women’ supporting the ‘Scouts’
Seems like having young ladies to the Troop leads to unnecessary RISKS not to mention Lawsuits!
THESE ARE YOUNG boys and men after all. DUH! This could go sideways fast! Maybe that;s what these Social Justice Warriors want! to destroy or nullify every possible normalcy that attemps to guide young people on a straight path to success.

Why can’t these people focus on BROKEN ISSUES like Crime, Immigration, Outlaw Politics’
We have so much broken in life why phuck with all the stuff that was working.
Yes, before you slam me the sexual deviants did worm their way into Scouting, they do everywhere lately, it’s just a sick sign of the times! I am sure if that unnamed Politician from NYC that just got ousted (There was a report he wanted to ‘Guide’ a local Troop’). , He would have met Serious RESISTANCE if one of my Sons told me about that.
We’ve gotten away from Core Values and Belief’s ;lately.
Scouting led many a young man into the Military or on to Better Lives By adhering to what it took to become a successful Scouts and Scout Leaders.

3 Likes

Oh, I thought you were wearing a kilt. I did not look that closely. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

It matches my eyes…PLAID!

2 Likes

What are you thinking with? Your ___ or your brains? The subject matter as presented is not about selling food. It’s about selling an ideology. Marxism, Leninism, Maoism, that is what the discussion is about. You wanna dance around the house wearing women’s clothing and shooting up hormones - fine. You wanna do it in front of children and bear all? NIMBY buddy.

4 Likes