OK Wanda3 I challenge YOU and everyone else!

Oftentimes, it becomes an opportunity to forge new relationships, after some degree of vetting. Don’t want to waste any more time with the eerie, weary, faint, or affable. Again, no pun intended. Being baffled is taxing. Because I cannot relinquish the occupying thought of why a person would NOT want to defend the most precious gift ever given, which is life itself. We don’t intend to take life, just preclude our lives from being taken! Who wouldn’t want that?

3 Likes

The problem is and always has been stigmatizing fear about the unknown. I used to be one of those! Thought guns were bad. Until I got divorced and faced a world as a female alone. I took a class and fell in love with shooting and the empowerment it gave me as a woman. I never turned back. I only have one firearm but I make it mine, know it well, and feel safe and comfortable with it. Her name is Raven! Lol. S&W M&P Shield Ez 380.

2 Likes

Yeah, and I don’t get it. Why the hush? Why the mystique attachment? Why the unwritten or unstated taboo? Yet, it seems many people kowtow to it.

I was taught as a boy to NEVER go inside of a woman’s purse. Never understood why they carried so much stuff and lug around 10 or 15 pounds of whatever in a leather bag?! Yet, they carry them “religiously.” The claim is: it contains everything they need. Okayyyyy! Any room for a firearm? And I get crickets. Is it not something that is needed? Not that I would advocate it being carried in a purse, which is also a personal choice, but is it not better than fishing around in it for OC spray? Just rambling. Men, the same. We carry wallets that give us hip injury, or altered gait, but we won’t stop! Big ole fat wallets; why not balance it out with something just as purposeful, like say, a firearm?

2 Likes

I’ve enjoyed your posts on this forum mainly because I can respect and admire your positions as you are precise and measured in your posts. It’s nice that you don’t get into the “who has a bigger #$$@ contests”.

3 Likes

@Zavier_D I think the contests can now be found on Memes Two. LOL. Pass the popcorn…

3 Likes

@David237 I carry the necessities only. My ‘bag’ doesn’t weigh 15 pounds but some do. Necessities…until I get the LTC in my nanny state, I do not carry that in my purse, although I have a CC purse. I conceal using girlie garments! But my necessities are a wallet with ID, cards, cash. The phone (the heaviest thing in there), and necessary makeup. Yes, necessary! I keep a tactical pen on me for now and Mace when I’m walking or getting a weird vibe. But the Mace is pink so I am in style while I blast some jerk’s eyes. LOL. Check out the new Sig gun ‘Rose’. They have it figured out. I have to check it out. It’s very girlie.

joking aside…I raised my son saying ‘no guns’ and now he is a surface warfare officer. LOL When I started shooting (and smoking an occasional cigar), he said “Who are you and what have you done with my mother?” ROFL. Still laughing about that. I was always afraid of guns and thought they did bad things to nice people. But I educated myself, talked to a ton of gun owners, really nice guys at the range, shot so many types of guns I have forgotten which ones. I embraced it and it has served me well. But it is a private sport and a somewhat lonely one. I don’t tell most people because of raised eyebrows, huffing, puffing, and getting cut out of relationships! True. People equate gun enthusiasts with the small percentage who commit heinous crimes and mass shootings.
I have told some of my friends along the way and a couple times got enthusiastic responses. But ya never know!
Ok enough of my ramblings…

2 Likes

That’s one thing that I really dislike. The fact that I am a proponent of the 2nd Amendment and people conflate that moral position to mean I am a proponent of criminals using firearms.

That could not be any further from the truth. I would support a law IF it could be proven that it would deter crime, while not infringing upon law abiding citizens 2nd Amendment rights. But gun control laws are not effective. Since Criminals are by the very definition of the word are going to break the law.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D I agree! This may be an unpopular opinion, but if states passed laws that in order to get licensed for first time owners, there needs to be more education and more supervised documented practice. Why? Some people buy guns and think they are hot s**t and act like assholes. Teachers who want to carry and who are allowed to carry need to be properly trained in all aspects of gun ownership. I took one class and, other than having to advocate for myself with the local police dept in a may issue state, I was allowed a license. But I was very inexperienced and thanks to some buddies, got trained and continue to train today. So I would support more education/experience for first time owners. That being said, I moved to another state, had to give up my LTC in Mass and have been waiting 6 months to hear if the new state will issue me an LTC. This, after a 10 page application and ‘letter of necessity’. Really? But I have experience so I feel this is neglectful of my rights and I walk around unprotected. Yet as a gun enthusiast, I get scorned by many, see head shakes, eye rolls, and get judged.

The people who take this seriously should be praised, not scorned!

3 Likes

That’s why I am opposed to mandatory training. I see your point and can agree with it to a point. But additional training can become a barrier to the price of entry standpoint.

I, strongly believe that law abiding gun owners are going to seek training and continue to keep their training fresh by taking training classes. I’ve been an owner for a significant amount of years. My step father, was a Vietnam era Marine. He taught me at 6 years old about firearms. I have continued to seek training for 50+ years.

I did my taxes earlier this year and I had spent over $3,000 on training expenses.

2 Likes

@Zavier_D I think new gun owners might benefit from more training but it could become another weighted law. It would be a compromise vs the nonsense that is out here. But in a court room it could always be argued someone didn’t have enough training to carry a gun even if they were trained. How much is enough? I guess it could be a no-win situation. IDK.
Coming from a state where I had a license is supposed to be a plus in this state but it hasn’t helped. I’m not a new gun owner so although the state is new to me, I have experience…and there are no laws right now that discuss experience as a way to get licensed (I don’t think). I had to pass a shooting test though. On an Army L target at 25 yards and score 195 out of 300 to pass. I scored 225.

yet…still waiting!

1 Like

[quote=“Wanda3, post:46, topic:88455”]
(and smoking an occasional cigar)

Now, that’s just plain sexy right there… You go gurl!

Wait’n for you to get old enough to Gitty up! I WANT TO BE FREE! ROFL!!!

2 Likes

That’s alright @Wanda3. You’ll always have us… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

You may want to check and see what the stipulations are for out of state licenses, and then check the reciprocity map and find out how to get an out of state license. But again, check for the stips in your state. They made stipulate that you cannot be a resident and carry a non-resident license, idk.

1 Like

@David237 LOL. I have some good cigar stories… Thanks for the compliment. Best offer I had all day…um, all week…what year is it?

:kissing_heart:

1 Like

@David237 I had to notify Mass I moved and I hoped (silly me) that they would just flip me over to a non-resident holder. Nope. I have to re-apply all over again, go through a process, and go to the state capital and have an interview. ??? no thanks.

1 Like

Oh wow, what a bummer! Hmmm…wow. I was just reading the information on the reciprocity map, what a cluster of complications; but you live there now so strap in and do what you have to do.

1 Like

was a time when firearms safety was taught in schools…

hope you get your license… although I have often thought forcing people to get one is unconstitutional…

and also believe teaching gun safety etc in schools should be brought back…

2 Likes

@OldDude49 I didn’t make my comments clear…I didn’t mean they should mandate that teachers have guns but that they should be allowed to carry if they choose to. But along with that would have to be solid longer term training to give them confidence, accuracy, and safety knowledge along with safety education in the schools, as you suggested. IMHO I think teachers are allowed to carry in Texas…maybe some other states now??

1 Like