Oblivious people

I would seek cover, look for an ambush point, then observe the situation. If it was some kids ducking around, I would watch them until they left the store. I doubt if they were approached by mgt the kids would take it seriously. Hopefully mgt would walk them out.

4 Likes

Most people are in condition white most of the time. They don’t expect anything to ever happen so don’t notice when something is until they see other people running and screaming.

Though I must admit that living in a rural area surrounded by public lands I don’t pay much attention to the sound of gunfire unless I hear the bullets wizzing by, the shooting sounds really close or it sounds like the shots might be coming from a neighborhood instead of the forest.

What gets me is when open carriers are completely oblivious to all the people who come within arms reach of their firearms in busy public places. Someone carrying a firearm should be more aware of potential risks and the other people in the area they are passing through.

5 Likes

I agree, and would do the same. My wife was smart and didn’t show herself until it seemed pretty clear there wasn’t an actual threat. Having said that, she’s a highly alert, CCW-license holding USCCA member. She’s also been assaulted and robbed at a gas station, so she knows how quickly things can go bad.

As for management, or store security, it’s sad. The security guys there are alert, careful and would do a good job if they could. I like the guys I’ve met, but their hands are tied. They get people brazenly walking out with $5,000 handbags, and all the security guys can do is take pictures of them and their license plates, and call the police, who do nothing. A co-worker of my wife was sexually assaulted in the restroom, and as the victim was reporting it to their secirity team, the pervert walked right by and coldly said, “there’s nothing you can do about it.”

4 Likes

Until I accidently hit him in the groin… he just walked into my fist as I was swinging it. I wasn’t trying to hit him. He’s right though. I couldn’t prevent the crime.

4 Likes

This scenario makes me want to look more into the statutes involving citizen arrests. I’m not going to risk my life, freedom and economic ability to support my family over stoping a shop lifter especially when most stores are letting these criminals walk right out the door. But if I saw someone finish sexually assaulting a clearly innocent victim I would have a very hard time just letting them walk off so they could do it again to someone else.

If they are caught in the act and you are reasonably sure there was an actual sexual assault taking place the use of force to stop the assault would be justified in most places in the U.S. But once the attack has ended what are the laws regarding a civilian detaining the attacker?

5 Likes

I would take cover. Look at my surroundings and if carrying go towards my gun. Then maybe start to walk around to find out what was going on…keeping my trigger hand close to my firearm to be safe. After checking out what had happened then finding out it was a prank, id say something to the little morons about they could get into a bunch of trouble acting out as they did, especially in a right to carry state.

2 Likes

Around here I’ll tell you exactly what would happen and that is customers young and old would catch them outside and beat the chit out of them, but I also understand that Florida is different than Huntington West Virginia to. Your wife did the right thing in such a situation and I’m sorry she was affected by it, that kind of stuff can really rattle someone when it’s not a hometown USA but a place where anyone from anywhere could be around with who knows what on their mind.

5 Likes