Noticing a lot of people posting they have guns

I meant no disrespect by my statement. I did, purchase and show ID and background. My own personal thought was I took my CCW before I bought, only because I felt more comfortable. I am in no way saying everyone has to do that.

I definitely have let them know that I didn’t agree with saying things like that.

4 Likes

Jobs that required personnel to be armed in PA require Act 235 certification … a bit more than an LTCF.
If I remember correctly about the timing of it, I believe it was prior to Columbine but it might have been a little later (I was 9 or 10 or so, so I might be mis-remembering the timeline) …
I came up with an idea that it would probably be safer if we had properly trained and armed personnel in schools…
Since then I refined the idea: In order for students to be allowed to be in a school on any given day (sent home, school closed, if this rule isn’t met), 50% of all school faculty/staff must have Act 235 training, and 30% must have access off-body or concealed to a firearm… Limited access to a list of who it is via administration (NEVER students finding out who has access), and roll call pre-student arrival…

2 Likes

Actually that was the best way to go about it.
I will recommend you also take a first aid course. You’ll also notice most of us carry IFAK.

4 Likes

I guess what I said may not have been what I meant for it to sound like.

I really mean no disrespect to the community of gun owners by my statement. Was just my thought.

Yes, I plan to take as many training classes as I can, go to the range and continue learning from this community. I have also been watching videos and trying to make sure I understand my gun especially.

I have talked to the kids about it being in the home and have allowed them to ask questions and watch videos with me.

7 Likes

@TheLittleNiffer None taken. These conversations are healthy.
Carry on… and… always carry.

6 Likes

None taken, we’re actually on the same page safety and responsibility.

5 Likes

That’s a great idea. At my school, we do an active shooter drill but there’s no real training. The faculty is shown a video and answer questions but there’s no training. They just tell us, run, hide, fight. I can tell you now, from the scare we had, I felt like it wasn’t enough. I felt like we were not properly trained to fight with even what was in our classroom.

4 Likes

Ok, good. I didn’t want it to come off wrong.

3 Likes

I think all gun owners should get additional training, but it should not be required. I do get your point @TheLittleNiffer, there would most likely be a lot less accidental shootings if people got some training.

5 Likes

Right. I mean I guess requiring it does take away from your rights.

4 Likes

I never advertise what I have other than with family and people here. In my opinion, the people that advertise are either A: ill equiped for trouble, or B: not confident in their ability to defend themselves, so they feel the need to say “leave me alone, I have a gun”. That or they think they are magically skilled because they have a gun. Just because someone buys a gun doesn’t mean your troubles are gone. The weapon is part of it, but every tool takes training and experience to use proficiently.

4 Likes

Say something. I’m sure you are not the only one that feels this way. If no one says anything, how can the issue be corrected? It’s like seeing an accident, but you don’t call 911 because you think someone else will. In the end emergency services never comes because everyone thought someone else would make the call.

4 Likes

This is the only platform I post comments on, besides YouTube occasionally. I don’t know why anybody would post all their business on social media. Discretion is key, especially knowing everything we say is “out there.”
On a personal note, went looking for something new Friday & I can tell there are lots of new gun owners! Things are drying up & prices are going up. :loudspeaker:

5 Likes

Our local PD went a step farther and let some teachers train with sim rounds. One year, a teacher got bruised on her hand and complained. The newspaper got involved, the trainers got in trouble, and now teachers can only be trained by watching videos.

1 Like

As a teacher, working with kids, you might consider not having your photo as your photo here, when taking about all things guns. Not private here…

4 Likes

Agreed. You have a tactical advantage of"the unknown". Do you have weapons? How many? Where? Do you have ammunition for those weapons? Can you use it? All questions a home invader doesn’t know, and will gamble on. If you get on social media saying that you just bought your first firearm ever, a wolf out there now knows you likely only have one, probably not well stocked with ammo (if you even have any considering shortages currently), and you are not very confident and probably not comfortable with it so the firearm is probably not close to you all the time. Then, even if you have it and ammunition, you are probably not trained or experienced enough to use it efficiently. Then it’s just a matter of recon and time.

3 Likes

"How many guns do you have?
I’ve found the answer to that question makes some people uncomfortable."

4 Likes

My answer to that question is always “what are guns?”. Unfortunately, like some people here, I recently lost them in a boating accident though

4 Likes

Guns, what guns? We all lost our guns in boating accidents.

Seriously though, it is our 2nd Amendment protected right to own and carry firearms. It is our responsibility to use those rights in a responsible manner. If we misuse our rights, WE pay the consequences.

4 Likes

The less others know, the better off you are. Owning a gun and conceal carrying is about self- defense and is not a bragging right. The whole idea of having a gun is hoping you never have to use it. The taking of a life will change you. But, if you can not avoid a life threatening situation it is an avenue to take to defend your life or those lives that matter to you.
Since I am a Certified Instructor my friends know I have a gun and I do not advertise if or if not I am carrying. Over all, keep it a secret!

5 Likes