NOTICE: Facebook And Google Indexing Your Firearm Serial Numbers

De facto attempt at registration. You post a picture of a gun on Facebook, they have your name, address, telephone numbers, they know you have a gun, the type and have an idea of how many you have. The NRA and other Firearms groups have been battling against this for decades. The Serial number is somewhat irrelevant. They know your friends and who you associate with… This is one of many reasons I refuse to set up a Facebook account.

This data can now be used to dox gunowners, given to the government, used to ban you from the platform. Nothing good will come of this.

1 Like

Hey @OldGnome, I realize I’m posting on an ancient thread, but I just happened to notice it now. Your comment made me think of an old Twilight Zone episode, To Serve Man. The visitors from another galaxy told the people they had nothing to fear and to put their trust in the visitors as people of earth were about to be given many helpful innovations.
The visitor had brought a book entitled To Serve Man. Many people were invited to visit the other planet. Just as one of the scientists was boarding the spaceship, his colleague ran out with the book screaming that they had decoded it. “It’s a cookbook!”
Never trust anyone who holds secrets and says it’s for your own good.
As you observed, “Of course not.” Nothing to worry about.

2 Likes

The government built an industrial sized data storage center in Utah. its only purpose is to store data. Massive amounts of data. everything you say, type, record and even what your phone sees with the camera. without taking a picture. they know the layout of your home the same way. Google, Amazon, Facebook, Instagram the government all know and share this data. What is really scary is that they can predict your reactions to certain stimuli. Which means they can control your actions by controlling what you see and hear :crazy_face:

It’s called “Meta data”
That’s the entirety of the F$@#!$@%book business model.

You can’t be serious?

5 Likes

This is an interesting thread. There are a lot of skeptical, knowledgeable and trusting comments that shows differing levels of concern. Several people have some clever ways to keep their personal information a secret. Just remember a secret is no longer a secret when you tell someone or press enter.

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

Twitter- Facebook especially … sell info that is nothing but on the leftist agenda!
I despise that companies stay with them or continue to do business with them. It’s only a matter of time before they sell all of this information to the government in mass kernel dumps.
I quit affiliating with Facebook 6 years ago and Twitter like 5 years ago… I wised up immediately about what I suspected of them.
Now Twitter is collaborating with the Taliban permitting them to use their site for coordinated communications!
Dump your accounts with them if you want to be safe- businesses get away from them!

5 Likes

I had done it long time ago! Knew they were fishy!

1 Like

@William226 lol I was reading through this thinking everyone is going to Google and typing in a serial number from an owned weapon, and this is what is probably being recorded :joy::joy:

2 Likes

You know, I realize this is a really old thread, but thank goodness I’ve never posted any firearms anywhere.
However, I do think I’ll get out of 2 firearms pages & some suppressor pages where I’m a member.
Nice to be back on here !

2 Likes

There are websites dedicated to the public proliferation of all of your PII. This is done by the rich, the greedy, and the very publicly facing finance and other corporations you so trustingly submit your information to. The NRA has the largest database of registered firearm owners in America. Just funny to see the difference between reality and what some worry about. Humans are terrible at assessing risk in general. Seemingly also at identifying sources.

2 Likes

It’s quite simple. Don’t be foolish enough to post. Any images or quotes that could come back to bite you.

3 Likes

Yeah, I call BS on this. You can’t compare license plate scanning to serial number scanning for at least 3 reasons. First, they aren’t on public display like plates. 2nd, even if I walked around all day with a gun in my hand, there’s no technology that could read it. 3rd, there’s not always an accurate database of owners. There’s no DMV of gun owners. On a scale of 1 to 10, I rate this a 1, because hey, you never know.

A wise man told me many years ago to a never photograph your guns with the serial showing. That was before the internet was even a thought.

3 Likes