Not necessarily a close encounter but i understand an adrenalin rush

That’s the problem. She passed a written and shooting test. No amount of training will compensate for irresponsible behavior. Which means additional laws would be pointless and why gun control laws are pointless.

3 Likes

You are right but I’d still feel better if more people had a grasp of safety rules.

Around here, we all pretty much agree with your statement. However, there is no general agreement that such training should be mandated by the state.

5 Likes

@504DevilVet, glad things worked out the best they could and everyone was safe. Yes, teaching, learning and ability, are different and there is no government mandate or license that will keep idiots free from self-harm nor from harming others. It is a nice thought that we could legislate intelligence and “common-sense”, but thousands of years of “civilization” and the recent rioting and looting, etc., in our country is further proof that is not a reachable goal. I like the TV screen capture you posted, quite telling concerning recent events.

@Denny_Crane, yes, just like driver’s licenses, right? No issues with bad drivers due to their requirement to pass a government test to legally drive. No negligent vehicular crashes, speeding, etc. No issues with people not licensed and insured, as required by law, either. Everyone obeys laws, right? That is why we have not had any rioting, arson, looting, etc., occurring recently in the USA.

The ideal you seem to believe in reminds me of an old song lyric, “if only England were English, again.” The irony of the lyric is that it was never “English”, as they have been invaded and conquered for their entire history. The same is true of your belief in government mandates - they only impact those willing and able to follow. The example of driver licensing is just one of many that prove that point.

I suspect that every driver, at least once in their lifetime, has broken at least one driving law, and probably at least a few they were/are not aware of. That is akin to an ND, most times nothing bad happens, but sometimes it leads to the driver and/or others being injured or killed.

Further, using the driving analogy, look at the cost of auto insurance in some states. In the state I was born in, and left almost 30 years ago, my insurance for two used cars with minimal coverage then was almost what I am currently paying now for two late-model, far more expensive, vehicles with maximum limits. The prohibitive cost of coverage in my former state makes it very difficult for the lower-income people to afford to own and drive a vehicle. The same holds true in states that impose licensing, training, etc., requirements on firearm owners. It is economic discrimination. Only those with the financial means can afford to join the ranks of firearm owners. We abolished poll taxes as unconstitutional for the same reason.

4 Likes

Well said.

glad everyone is ok but there is no such thing as an AD, ND is the term.

Usually the cause of an unintentional discharge is negligence, but firearms have been known to malfunction causing an “accidental” discharge, one that the user did not intend nor initiate. That is the reason for the rules of firearm safety, as an accidental or negligent discharge can have very serious results. If the firearm is pointed in a safe direction, regardless of other errors or malfunctions, it is less likely for harm to occur.

rare but point taken

Why does the state require a driver test, architecture test, medical etc…

Who is more broke than students who spend 8 years in college yet the state require them to take a test for certain vocations.
if you can afford a gun, you can afford to test for a license, if your state charges.

Those are not rights.

3 Likes

A well regulated Coachmen, being necessary to transportation in a free State, the right of the people to operate carriages, shall not be infringed.

1 Like

Well, I guess your experience disproves my theory that the people most likely to have an ND are those with years of experience with firearms. Why, you ask? Because beginners are more likely to be nervous and attentive around firearms and think about what they’re doing. When you hang around firearms much of your adult life, you can get complacent and forget safety rules. The only ND I ever saw was committed by a guy who lived and breathed guns. He was showing a pistol to a potential buyer and he launched a .380 round through a table and into the floor. Wouldn’t have been that bad had he been at home but he was at the local police range at the time where our gun club was shooting. We damn near were banned from the facility.