Not necessarily a close encounter but i understand an adrenalin rush

It was close to 12 midnight, i had my front door open but my security door locked. I saw someone on my porch. I made abee line to the door and slammed it close. The rush was amazing. I felt a little weak. I went to get my gun and checked my windows. Turns out to be my neighbor, we share a porch. But now i know how important muscle memory is for selfdefense. I felt like i had no control for those brief second

14 Likes

Self-defense is not about reacting quickly, nor is it about an adrenaline rush. Self-defense is about being prepared, being watchful, maintaining a sense of awareness of your surroundings and training.

11 Likes

Now, imagine if you already had your gun when you noticed something’s off,
it would be fatal to have that “weak” feeling if there was a real threat.
Train and practice.

11 Likes

In the Army we practiced what is called battle drills. A battle drill for you non Infantry types is how platoons and squads apply fire and maneuver to commonly encountered solutions. These drills are repeated over and over until the action is committed to muscle memory and requires practically no thought process to execute. The battle drills are

1. Platoon attack
  2. Squad attack
  3. Break contact
  4. React to ambush
  5. Knock out bunker
  6. Enter and clear a building
  7. Enter and clear a trench
  8. Breach mined wire obstacle

During the 39 months I fought in Iraq with the 82nd Airborne Division we routinely executed battle drills 1-6.

And FYI their was always a certain level of adrenaline during and after a firefight. Though after a while it felt like jumping. You just got use to it but it was still their. And in terms of Vets I’m of the 1% of the !% who served which means less then 1% of the US population chooses to serve and out of those who serve less then 1% serve in the Airborne Infantry.

Pic of me before a clearing mission at FOB Loyalty Baghdad 2007 2nd Iraq deployment

`

15 Likes

Pic of me inspecting an Iraqi med facility Ramadi 2010 3rd deployment

11 Likes

@504DevilVet, thank you very much for your service and welcome!

4 Likes

Welcome and many thanks for sharing!!! We need patriots like you!!!

Since you live in TX, check out Fizbin on this site. He has a range in the middle of no where TX. and a good man!

6 Likes

Situational awareness on one hand, secured tactfulness on the other.
Anyone can have an off moment then the accidental 3rd issue could arise- reflexive Fire.
Adrenaline is an accelerant to accidental shootings. Try to be calm and observe tactfully first. Don’t be seen or heard. Be practical and calm.
We know the disciplines, training solidity for some is not that easy. For some they feel like they’re really trying orchestrate control / potential survival analysis all at once.
Keep it simple. Silence is stealth, and stealth assures the upper hand. Never be predictable.

5 Likes

Welcome to the family! You’re in the right place! Thank you for your service!

4 Likes

Welcome to the family. Thank you for your service. Stay safe. God bless

5 Likes

Welcome to the community, and Thank You For Your Service :us: be safe.

5 Likes

It appears that the retention strap is unsnapped in the second pic.

2 Likes

GOOD :eye: THERE :+1:

2 Likes

That was excess velcro. Hard to tell in the pic but in this pic behind me you can see how I kept it holstered

6 Likes

Welcome to the community. :+1:

2 Likes

Something to keep in mind. Airborne soldiers are taught right away to properly secure their weapons, optics, ammo, and all other combat gear because of the wind speeds when exiting an aircraft. losing your equipment on a jump is not a forgivable offense, if you look at my picture close up you will see my optics and peq-4 securely fastened with 550 cord. So named because of the strength of each suspension line. Furthermore their is a specific knot in how the tie downs are secured, even our NODs mount is covered with duck tape while in the aircraft because of a potential risk of a spark which would very bad with recirculated O2.

4 Likes

I did state “appeared”, so I am glad to hear that wasn’t the case. I have seen police officers with improperly holstered firearms, so it is a concern of mine. If I see someone with a firearm, I always check its status. If I see carelessness or other issues of concern, want to be as far away as I can be.

2 Likes

Firearm safety is a huge priority for me no matter what my past experience. To this day every time I return home I properly clear and store my carry pistol within a few minutes of returning home. I am divorced and single but have full custody of my teenage son. He has been properly taught the do’s and don’ts regarding firearm safety from the time he was big enough to touch a weapon. I have seen carelessness with weapons up close and personal. I once saw an E7 female MP blow her foot off at a clearing barrel in Iraq and even my ex wife had an AD which went through the bedroom wall into the kitchen, out the opposite wall, past the neighbors house through their backyard and finally resting into the 2nd floor wall 2 houses down. My daughter happened to be in the kitchen and I had just mounted a flat screen TV a couple weeks prior. Had she been sitting in her previous spot before I mounted that TV the round would have hit her in the head. I call that having and angel on her shoulder and even though that wasn’t the reason for my divorce it certainly didn’t help. Ex spouses are impossible to correct no matter how many types of wrong they are and this incident happened after we both passed the same LTC course so we could conceal carry. Thank God she messed up so her license won’t be getting renewed. In the pic I swapped out the 55” TV that the bullet hit with a smaller 50” TV but had she been sitting in her previous spot on the right side of the table the .40 round bullet would have struck her in the head. After mounting the TV she changed to the front middle of the TV. Now I am VERY PRO 2A but my ex wife is a perfect example of a person who has no business handling firearms. My daughter is in her 20’s and currently in college. She was the 2nd youngest in my home. Interestingly enough I made a huge issue of the AD during my divorce but my attorney chose not to use it and me getting full custody of my 16yo son was based on other issues.

TV I swapped out. Notice the right lower corner

3 Likes

My properly stored carry pistol

4 Likes

This story would support my stance on why everyone should take a test to own a gun.