Not my circus?

@KevinM starts off his latest blog post with a Polish idiom that I use a lot! (My last name growing up ended in -ski, I’m just a bit Polish.)

Not my circus, not my monkeys. He relates it to whether or not you should get involved in a conflict.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/blog/conflict-avoidance-will-you-walk-away/

What tactics do you use to watch out for a possibly dangerous situation?

2 Likes

I start off with where I’m going, and why I’m going there. From there it’s head on a swivel, looking for ANYTHING out of the ordinary. If something looks suspicious, I avoid if at all possible.

3 Likes

I have a pretty simple formula. I know to what level I’m willing to takes thing to get home. So if a situation isnt worth going to that level I will always walk away.

2 Likes

It all starts with not going to stupid places, or going with stupid people, or going to to do stupid things. If I wouldn’t go there without a gun, why would I go there with a gun?
It never hurts to be polite, holding the door for people, etc. Most importantly, don’t drink AT ALL when armed.

Don’t forget road rage. You cannot engage in road rage! As gun carriers, there is a higher standard for our behaviors.
We have given up the right to act like a jerk when we carry a gun.

If you do end up in a situation where you have to use a firearm, that should only happen if you have the correct answer to one question. Will a life be saved if I use this gun?

1 Like

One of my favorite phrases.

Yep, @JKetchem, not my monkeys. :laughing:

2 Likes

Another I remember my dad saying was “keep your nose clean”. Guess that falls into the “stupid things, stupid places and stupid people” deal.

3 Likes

I would try to remain calm and walk away but if it was something serious enough I would report it to the proper authorities. If the situation was not forgotten within about 24 hours and involved any signs of DV I would report it.

1 Like

15 seconds of confrontation is not worth 15 years of prison time. This is where mental preparedness comes into play. Be prepared to have your character challenged, know it isn’t worth the exhaustion of your “man hood” With my family I look to them as my “VIP’s” Does the secret service or private sector security stay for the fight or do they do all in their power to extricate their VIP? If it isn’t life threatening does it really deserve your effort and time?

4 Likes